157549Re: Semantic Content of Grammatical Gender?

  • Ina van der Vegt
    Feb 1, 2009
      2009/1/31 Chris Peters <beta_leonis@...>:
      >> One little nit: If I understand you corrrectly this is not always so. > There is a difference between 'el papa' and 'la papa.' That's the only > one that comes to mind, but there may be others.> > Charlie
      >

      > One other example I've heard about this (which may be an urban legend, so please correct me if my understanding is in error): "El Presidente" in Spanish means "The President, while the feminine equivalent, "La Presidente", means literally "The First Lady." And this fact (??) led to some interesting linguistic dilemmas when various South American countries started electing their first women heads of state ...

      There's alse Dutch secretaris/secretaresse, which was originally the
      same word with different genders, but grew into different functions
      (And, thus, different words) over time.

      While 'Hij is een secretaresse' (He is a 'secretaresse') is not a
      usual sentence. 'Zij is een secretaris' (She is a secretary) is one
      I've heard before.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic