156930Re: alíta na-lahéap

  • Joel Heikkila
    Jan 1, 2009
      On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 00:15:55 -0500, Amanda Babcock Furrow
      <langs@...> wrote:

      >à alíta na-lahéap vó'c ki'tyraisödàhlv'n!
      >
      >a a'lita na- la- h- 'ea -p 'vo -k
      >OPT N REL INCEPT EPENTH V.INF IMP 2p.PL ACC
      >O year which begins to be you
      >
      >ki- tirai -so -'da -K- -v -n
      >FUT ADJ EQU CAUS OPT PERF 3p.N
      >will happy be make may it
      >
      >O may the year which is beginning make you all happy!

      That's a rather long wish! Is that particularly formal, or is
      that the usual way of saying it?

      The Njenskan calendar's new year is the day after the solstice,
      so we're a bit late for this -- but, in the singular:

      Thandi hel handeis!
      thand-i hel hand-eis!
      year-SG.ACC good experience-OPT.2PS
      Have a good year!

      hel has conontations of a feast, a warm fire, a cheery song
      and family. Not the same kind of "good" as righteous or just.
      "Merry" might be a better translation in this case, but oh well.

      For all of you, in the plural:
      thandi hel handádd!

      Njenska is normally SVO, so I'm not sure why this is (S)OV
      but it just seems better that way. Maybe it's a fixed
      expression? A lot of optative phrases seem to go SOV...

      Thandi hel handádd,

      Joel
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic