156369Re: Computerized translation into conlang?

  • Gary Shannon
    Dec 1, 2008
      --- On Mon, 12/1/08, David Vercauteren <njenfalgar@...> wrote:

      > From: David Vercauteren <njenfalgar@...>

      > Most probably writing a sufficiently good program would
      > take infinitely more
      > time that translating it all by hand. Now and then my
      > colleagues at work
      > send mails, with translations in English (for our
      > English-speaking
      > colleagues) using computer translation. We always have a
      > good laugh. That's
      > probably most benefit one gets from machine translation
      > nowadays... :-)
      >
      > Greets
      > David

      Machine translation seems to be one of those areas where, when first approached, it looks like it would not be terribly difficult. Then, a little deeper into the project you suddenly hit an impenetrable brick wall, and any further progress seems impossibly difficult.

      "When one initially examines some area of the syntax of a natural language, it often seems to manifest what can only be called descriptive chaos." --Paul M. Postal in "Edge-Based Model-Theoretic Syntax".

      --gary
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic