151025Re: Evolution of Romance (was: **Answer to Pete**)

  • ROGER MILLS
    Feb 10, 2008
      This is OT w.r.t. this thread, but--

      Over the last several weeks, there has been an interesting and rather
      astounding thread on Spanish "Ideolengua" (yahoo groups) regarding a recent
      (?) book by one Yves Cortez, Le fran´┐Żais ne vient pas du latin. (And by
      implication, neither do the other Romance languages). Have any of you been
      following it, or has anyone else heard of this book?

      His theory, as I understand it without having seen the book (only the
      Prologue has been quoted), seems to be, that the bulk of the Roman
      population spoke not a colloquialized form of what we call Classical Latin,
      but a separate IE language _closely related to_ Classical Latin but which
      was already headed toward being a more analytic language. He calls this
      "Ancient Italian", and it, not CL, is the source of the Romance languages.

      The amazing thing is that some of the respondents are taking this seriously
      !!! and are immune to all arguments to the contrary.

      Well, slap my ass and call me Cato-- has M. Cortez never heard of
      Proto-Romance? It would almost be worthwhile, and certainly amusing, to
      actually get the book, to see how he dismisses almost 200 years of scholarly
      research.........
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic