147706Re: Brr (was: Re: A few questions about linguistics concerning my new project)

  • Philip Newton
    Aug 2, 2007
      On 8/2/07, Henrik Theiling <theiling@...> wrote:
      > Mark J. Reed writes:
      > > in parts of Greenland the /u/ phoneme seems to be merging into /i/.
      >
      > Fascinating. Do you have some pointers for further reading? A
      > two-vowel system of /1/ vs. /a/ would be very interesting.

      I read somewhere about a natlang whose (phonemic) vowels seemed to be
      distinguished only by height (and not by backness; don't remember
      about rounding). Such a lang could conceivably have phonemic /1/ vs
      /a/ (though phonetically, I don't know what the allophonic range could
      be -- conceivably rather wide).

      Unfortunately, I don't remember details.

      Cheers,
      --
      Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic