146965Re: Doing without relative, coordinate and subordinate clauses?

  • Lars Finsen
    Jul 1, 2007
      Den 30. jun. 2007 kl. 17.44 skrev Jeff Rollin:

      > Does your conlang do this? How do you do it? Are there natlangs
      > which do this?

      Urianians are pretty fond of using participle constructions instead
      of full verbal clauses in such sentences. (I gather they are less
      frequent in colloquial speech and are considered somewhat 'high
      style' though.) Like any noun the participles take various case-
      endings, which affect its function. This is not uncommon with highly
      inflected languages, I think.

      "I saw the man who owns an Audi and lives on our street in the Post
      Office today"

      Ninsilpostu tuni ajem ura jugan Audet, raznu esan favat.
      (post.office-loc.sg day-inst.sg see-1s.pret man-acc.sg own-
      act.part.nom Audi-acc.sg, street-loc.sg 1p.gen live-stat.part.nom)

      "I'll always remember the tension in her voice //when she spoke of
      her late father/as the train pulled out of the station and receded
      into the distance//"

      In the second sentence I'll use some instrumental participles to
      denote concurrent actions with some duration.

      Ende mindulsam sa dingja irmina, cutzuni sa badra mirin, togja gituni
      staconat oran inan.
      (always remember-1s.fut 3s.gen voice-gen.sg tension-acc.sg, speak.of-
      act.part.inst 3s.gen die-past.part, train-gen.sg start-act.part.inst
      station-abl.sg recede-act.part.nom yonder-acc)

      In the last one I'll use infinitives, and a dative participle.

      "Before I can get it for you, you need to find out how much it is and
      give me the money, please."
      Du ma frangune eng e du jande jungi ger je gegde mi oset, tunzi.
      (2s.dat 1s.gen bring-act.part.dat necessary be-3s.pres 2s.dat
      find.out-inf how.much be.worth-3s.pres and give-inf 1s.acc money-
      acc.pl, friendliness-inst.sg)

      In Urianian, the pronouns are separate when using a participle, but
      there are languages that include them. What you get isn't completely
      collapsed clauses, there is still some clausal structure there, so I
      guess it isn't an answer to your question really. But anyway it's a
      fun exercise, thanks for that.

      LEF
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic