135867Re: Hyperborean

  • Andreas Johansson
    Jan 3, 2006
      Quoting Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>:

      > Hallo!
      >
      > Ray Brown wrote:
      >
      > > Isaac Penzev wrote:

      > > > Hmm. Aren't they more often called 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'?
      > >
      > > I believe so - my source was Mario Pei "The World's Chief Languages",
      > > 1949. But the Library of Congress apparently still uses the older term:
      > > PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages
      > >
      > > In the list quoted yesterday by Jefferson Wilson there is no mention of
      > > 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'
      > >
      > > A quick Google on 'hyperborean' will soon show many different latter-day
      > > uses; I guess the terms 'Pal(a)eosiberian' and 'Pal(a)eoasian' have been
      > > adopted to avoid confusion with some of these other uses.
      >
      > Yep. Losts of crackpots using this term for all sorts of figments
      > of their imagination, including some very unpalatable ones.
      >
      > And northeastern Siberia probably doesn't have the least to do
      > with the Hyperborea of the ancients at all (where's the friendly
      > temperate climate and all that?); IMHO, "Hyperborea" refers to
      > pre-Celtic Britain. Which also means that the term "Hyperborean"
      > applies better to - Albic ;-) But I will stick to the name "Albic":
      > it is shorter, it is unambiguous, it is better.

      The Swedish 17th C historian Olof Rudbeck thought it refered to Scandinavia, and
      claimed the word was derived from Scandinavian _yverboren_ "highborn". He
      should've taken more Greek classes, but you'll still occasionally hear
      _yverboren_ as joking characterization of overly patriotic folks.

      Andreas
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic