135838Re: Hyperborean

    Jan 2, 2006
      Hallo!

      Ray Brown wrote:

      > Isaac Penzev wrote:
      > > R A Brown wrote:
      > >

      > >>In modern times the adjective 'Hyperborean' has been applied to a group
      > >>of languages spoken in northeastern Siberia.
      > >

      > > Hmm. Aren't they more often called 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'?
      >
      > I believe so - my source was Mario Pei "The World's Chief Languages",
      > 1949. But the Library of Congress apparently still uses the older term:
      > PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages
      >
      > In the list quoted yesterday by Jefferson Wilson there is no mention of
      > 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'
      >
      > A quick Google on 'hyperborean' will soon show many different latter-day
      > uses; I guess the terms 'Pal(a)eosiberian' and 'Pal(a)eoasian' have been
      > adopted to avoid confusion with some of these other uses.

      Yep. Losts of crackpots using this term for all sorts of figments
      of their imagination, including some very unpalatable ones.

      And northeastern Siberia probably doesn't have the least to do
      with the Hyperborea of the ancients at all (where's the friendly
      temperate climate and all that?); IMHO, "Hyperborea" refers to
      pre-Celtic Britain. Which also means that the term "Hyperborean"
      applies better to - Albic ;-) But I will stick to the name "Albic":
      it is shorter, it is unambiguous, it is better.

      Greetings,

      Jörg.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic