135833Re: Hyperborean

    Jan 2, 2006
      Isaac Penzev wrote:
      > R A Brown wrote:
      >>In modern times the adjective 'Hyperborean' has been applied to a group
      >>of languages spoken in northeastern Siberia.
      > Hmm. Aren't they more often called 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'?

      I believe so - my source was Mario Pei "The World's Chief Languages",
      1949. But the Library of Congress apparently still uses the older term:
      PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages

      In the list quoted yesterday by Jefferson Wilson there is no mention of
      'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'

      A quick Google on 'hyperborean' will soon show many different latter-day
      uses; I guess the terms 'Pal(a)eosiberian' and 'Pal(a)eoasian' have been
      adopted to avoid confusion with some of these other uses.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic