134557Re: New member with a few questions.

  • Henrik Theiling
    Nov 1, 2005
      Hi!

      John Schlembach <bachalon@...> writes:
      > Hello all.

      Welcome to the list! :-)

      > I'm looking to create an a priori language based around two sets of words.
      >
      > Empty words are words with an implied connotation. A word can seem to
      > mean "light" but until it has the proper qualifier in the form of a suffix
      > bound word it has no meaning.
      >
      > Bound words are just that: adjectives or nouns that allow function to be
      > known and implemented.

      Sounds interesting. I understand the 'bound words' are not just
      classifiers, right? And they cannot be used on their own? Could you
      give examples of what you came up with? I have some difficulties
      'splitting', say, a 'table' into two concepts so that the split
      generally works for many nouns(?) in that language. An example will
      probably help.

      > ... The difficult part is getting this language to be precise. ...

      Well, you could lexicalise the empty word + bound word compound to
      assign a precise meaning instead of the logically derived vague
      meaning. This would be a bit how some polysynthetic languages work.
      E.g. in Kalaallisut, 'read-place' (atuaq + vik > atuarfik) is
      'school'.

      **Henrik
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic