132380Re: Alborgian

  • Ingmar Roerdinkholder
    Jul 1, 2005
      I forgot a few things:

      Like (some) Judeo-Moroccan, Alborgian has 1] t < emphatic d, 2]k < q,
      3]loss of h, and 4]the merger of 'ayn and ghayn:

      1]
      tarab-i [ta"rabi] - he/she hit me; MorArab: Dr@bni
      tahek [ta"hEk] - he laughed; MorArab: D-Häk
      2]
      y kum [i"kum] - stand; MorArab: yqum = stand up
      kambra ["kambra] - moon; MorArab q@mra
      3]
      oa/ia ["owa]/["ija] - he is/she is; MorArab: howwa = he, heyya = she
      xar [Sar] - month; MorArab: shahr
      dêb [deb] - gold; MorArab: d-häb
      4]
      loa ["lowa] - language, tongue; MorArab: lugha
      zaïr [za"ir] - small; MorArab: sghir
      and [and] - with; MorArab: '@nd

      Alborgian gave up emphatic consonants all together, but they still live on
      in the vowels preceding or following:

      emph. cons.(incl. r, q, kh, and sometimes 'ayn, ghayn)
      +Class.Arab long a: > Alb. a [a]
      +Class.Arab long i: > Alb. i [i]
      +Class.Arab long u: > Alb. u [u]
      +Class.Arab ay (>ey)> Alb. ê [e]
      +Class.Arab aw (>ow)> Alb. ô [o]
      'ayn/ghayn+ long i: > Alb. ei[Ei]
      'ayn/ghayn+ long u: > Alb. au[Ou]
      'ayn/ghayn+ ay (>ey)> Alb. ei[Ei]
      'ayn/ghayn+ aw (>ow)> Alb. au[Ou]

      non-emphatic consonants
      +Cl.Arab long a: > Alb. ê [e]
      +Cl.Arab long i: > Alb. i [i]
      +Cl.Arab long u: > Alb. û [y] !!!
      +Cl.Arab ay (>ey)> Alb. ie[jE]
      +Cl.Arab aw (>ow)> Alb. eu[2] !!!

      With <û> [y] and <eu> [2] Alborgian is quite unique amongst the Arab
      (derived) dialects. This may seem odd, but it is a way to compensate the
      loss of emphatic consonants. We find <ö> in Jewish Moroccan dialects as
      well as I wrote before, and in several Moroccan Arabic dialects there is a
      tendency to pronounce <u> as [uO], "barred u" like Swedish/Norw. u in
      <hus>, i.e. somewhere between [u] and [y]. Add to that the pronunciation
      [y] for <u> in Southern Portuguese dialects of the Algarve, not far from
      Alborgia, which were a major source of influence on the language.

      The fact that Alborgian has so many features in common with Judeo-Arabic
      is because of after the reconquesta just before 1500 AD, most Muslim
      Alborgians left, but the Christians and most Jews were allowed to stay,
      although the latter often pseudo-converted to Roman Catholicism, together
      with a few Moors; both being minorities under Moorish rule, the Christian
      and Jewish dialects showed many resemblance to each other.

      Ingmar