131883Re: "Tracheal" consonants: a curiosity?

  • william drewery
    Jun 8, 2005
      You're right about the hebrew, sorry. Arabic also often avoids geminate gutterals, but allows them time to time. I wonder if it's because they're difficault to pronounce, or because noone wants to hear those sounds for longer than one has to, lol.

      Steg Belsky <draqonfayir@...> wrote:
      On Jun 7, 2005, at 3:19 AM, william drewery wrote:
      >>  Epiglottal stops are the same as ejective pharangeal stops. The
      >> glottis closes completely, while the tounge root retracts so far as
      >> to completely seal around the epilottis. The sound is similar to a
      >> forcefull glottal stop with a pharangeal offglide. In most of spoken
      >> Arabic, there's the ordinary glottal stop, the voiceless pharangeal
      >> fricative, a voiced pharangeal approximate for the single @ayn, and a
      >> full epiglottal stop for doubled @ayn. Doubled Haa' (voiceless
      >> pharangeal fricative) often has aryetenoid trilling, as well. The
      >> Oriental dialects of Hebrew follow a similar pattern. Agul is the
      >> only language i know of contrasting voiceless pharangeals with
      >> voiceless epiglottals. But !Xoo con! trast pharangealized vowels,
      >> epiglottalized vowels, and creaky vowels, and also has the glottal
      >> stop as a consonant.
      >> William Drewery

      For the single pharyngeal phonemes, sure, but Hebrew phonotactics
      doesn't allow geminated gutturals, and the guttural category includes
      |hhet| and |`ayin|.

      -Stephen (Steg)
      "i defend myself, therefore i exist."
      ~ herbert pagani