131851Re: "Tracheal" consonants: a curiosity?

  • Paul Roser
    Jun 6, 2005
      On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:53:04 -0400, # 1 <salut_vous_autre@...> wrote:

      >>As to which languages use epiglottals - they have been reported to
      >>occur in Arabic, Salishan languages, Nootka, Somali, some Caucasian
      >>languages, Dahalo (East Africa), Amis (Taiwan) - in fact many
      >>instances previously reported as pharyngeals may in fact be realized
      >>at least allophonically as epiglottals.
      >>

      >Are there oppositions between pharyngal and epiglottal consonants?
      >
      >Or pharyngal, glottal, and epiglottal consonants?

      Allegedly some dialects of the Caucasian language Agul contrast pharyngeal
      and epiglottal (and perhaps glottal). Certainly a glottal/epiglottal
      contrast would be possible, since it is a variant of glottal/pharyngeal.

      >>Epiglottalized vowels (as opposed to true epiglottal segments) have
      >>also been reported in Ju|hoansi & !Xoo (both Khoesan) as well as
      >>in Bai (Tibeto-Burman), and probably others that I can't recall off
      >>the top of my head.
      >>

      >Isn't an epiglottalized vowels the same as a creaky voiced vowel? if not
      >does it sound similar and is there a X-Sampa symbol?

      They are nothing alike - creaky voiced (or glottalized) vowels contrast
      with epiglottalized vowels in several Khoesan languages, and I don't
      think they sound similar at all. There is no X-Sampa symbol for
      epiglottalized that I am aware of, though you could use a raised
      epiglottal (stop or fricative?) which is what I've seen in the IPA
      literature, so maybe _?\ would serve.

      Bfowol
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic