131776Re: "Tracheal" consonants: a curiosity?

  • Paul Roser
    Jun 2, 2005
      On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:53:51 -0400, # 1 <salut_vous_autre@...> wrote:

      >Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
      >
      >>Are you sure that these are not epiglottals? Just because
      >>60% of the human race are unable to ptonounce such sounds
      >>doesn't mean that you aren't among the remaining 40%.

      [edit]
      >But what languages use these sounds? In my ears and mouth,
      >this is not a sound that sounds really beautiful or that is
      >pleasant to produce...
      >
      >So two questions: What languages or languages families use
      >this sound? And do the people who use this sound in everyday
      >speach have a different form of epiglottis or throat?
      >
      >- Max

      First, there is nothing especially different in the shape of the
      epiglottis in the speakers of those languages which use it as
      part of their language, as far as I know (though one professor who
      worked with Khoisan speakers reported that muscles in his throat
      became more developed/enlarged, apparently from using these speech
      sounds).

      As to which languages use epiglottals - they have been reported to
      occur in Arabic, Salishan languages, Nootka, Somali, some Caucasian
      languages, Dahalo (East Africa), Amis (Taiwan) - in fact many
      instances previously reported as pharyngeals may in fact be realized
      at least allophonically as epiglottals.

      Epiglottalized vowels (as opposed to true epiglottal segments) have
      also been reported in Ju|hoansi & !Xoo (both Khoesan) as well as
      in Bai (Tibeto-Burman), and probably others that I can't recall off
      the top of my head.

      -Bfowol
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic