131760Re: "Tracheal" consonants: a curiosity?

  • Benct Philip Jonsson
    Jun 1, 2005
      François CHAUVET skrev:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I was designing the phonetic inventory for a Conlang (no name yet), which
      > I wished would
      >
      > correspond to my (somewhat) unarticulated natural voice (in fact, I can
      > speak French almost
      >
      > without moving my lips). This is how I speak, and microphones are no help:
      > they just amplify

      I speak with lax oral articulation, tense throat and nasal overlay,
      but at least there is a known medical reason. It never occurred to
      me to make a conlang with those characteristics, but it seems an
      interesting idea!

      > what does not exist.
      > So, I chose to have "semi-rounded" vowels (easy, although I don't know of
      > any IPA symbol for

      Why not use the "less rounded" diacritic ("subscript c"):
      CXS [u_c o_c y_c 2_c]
      IPA [u̜ o̜ y̜ ø̜]

      [snip]

      > The consequences of it are (1) pharyngeals are well beyond my reach, and
      > (2) I can now
      >
      > articulate what I call "tracheal consonants" -- namely a plosive which I
      > could denote by
      >
      > [q\\] and a fricative which I could denote by [X\\]. Both are unvoiced,
      > but since the vocal
      >
      > chords were left untouched, there is still some air left to make a voiced
      > version of these
      [snip]
      > Now, is this a pure curiosity? Are there any natlangs with such
      > consonants? These do
      >
      > resemble glottals, but aren't: can they be considered allophones, e.g.
      > [q\\] as allophone of
      >
      > [?]? The medics don't understand why I seem so interested in producing
      > such "noises" (I must
      >
      > admit they sound like eructation when improperly pronounced). How
      > far "back in the throat"
      >
      > is it possible to utter some "reasonable" consonant?
      >
      > Thank you for any advice.

      Are you sure that these are not epiglottals? Just because
      60% of the human race are unable to ptonounce such sounds
      doesn't mean that you aren't among the remaining 40%.

      --

      /BP 8^)>

      Solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant!
      (Tacitus)