Re: Insults may be wiped off map

  • Joe Graf
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      Dah! I can't see this as anything but amusing. The N-word names, no
      doubt back when they were named didn't mean anything bad. It's just
      the simple-minded way the people of today think of such things. My
      grandma had some black friends, but she didn't call them black, she
      called them the N-word. They all knew what they were, it was simply
      the name they and she knew they were. They lived in the south, and in
      the country. They grew up together, they played together, they lived
      close together, they got old together, and they died together. It
      simply ment black skinned, no more, no less. If she were alive today
      I believe she'd correct the ignorance about the N-words meaning
      because she finished her schooling, unlike my grandpa. She said
      grandpa didn't have a lot of schooling, and all he did was complain,
      but he was real handy to have around the house, otherwise she'd a
      sent that crabby old man a packin' long ago. Those old women that sat
      outside playing cards out-lived their husbands, and I wonder why.
      Could it be that they knew something we didn't? How stupid people are
      today, perhaps they were smarter back then, and if they were not
      smarter, they were surely wiser.

      --- In confederatemovement@yahoogroups.com, "Stacy Wade Harris II"
      <unreconstructedone@e...> wrote:

      > Wednesday, April 30, 2003 6:38AM EDT
      >
      > Insults may be wiped off map
      >

      > By LYNN BONNER, Staff Writer
      >
      > The names are jarring: Niggerskull Mountain, Nigger Head, Nigger
      Spring.

      > An effort is under way in the General Assembly to wipe from North
      Carolina's map those names and others using the racial epithet. "We
      want to get these off the record," said Rep. Alma Adams, a Greensboro
      Democrat.

      > A bill Adams sponsored would require county commissioners to devise
      replacements by July 1 and send them to Secretary of State Elaine
      Marshall. Marshall would work with registrars of deeds, tax officials
      and planning officials to change the names.

      > The bill is headed for a vote of the full House after its unanimous
      endorsement from the House State Government Committee on Tuesday.

      > "I'm surprised, really, that this wasn't done before -- that this
      would still exist in our state," said Rep. Joni Bowie, a Greensboro
      Republican.

      > Six of the seven places listed in the bill with names containing
      the racial epithet are in Western North Carolina. All are listed
      in "The North Carolina Gazetteer," a definitive list of places and
      geographic features. Included in the bill are names for mountains in
      Haywood, Jackson and Clay counties, a spring in Haywood County,
      creeks in Union and Jackson counties and a bay in Currituck County.

      > Richard Starnes, an assistant professor of history at Western
      Carolina University who grew up in Asheville, said he has heard a
      mountain near his hometown called by its objectionable name as long
      as he can remember. Such names are probably found most often in
      western counties because the black population in there is small, he
      said.

      > "We have the lowest per capita amount of black folks in this part
      of the world," he said. "There was less pressure. To have something
      like that in Durham would be a lot different in terms of social and
      political names."

      > Public officials should move to change those names, he said,
      although the new monikers might not stick, at first.

      > "It's one of these difficult kinds of things to change from the top
      down," he said. "But I think for public officials to allow those
      kinds of place names to remain, then they're culpable in continuing
      the cycle of using derogatory labels for groups and citizens."

      > The move to change the North Carolina names comes as American
      Indians in the Western United States are pushing to rename mountains
      and creeks called "squaw." Squaw is a derogatory term for a woman in
      some Native American languages.

      > A high school in Buncombe County stopped calling women's sports
      teams the Squaws a few years ago, as a result of American Indians'
      objections. The athletes are now Lady Warriors.

      > Rep. Phil Haire, a Democrat who represents Haywood, Jackson and
      several other mountain counties, said he had not heard that people
      were offended by the names.

      > "It's just what it's always been," he said. "I don't know that
      people consider it offensive or not offensive."

      > Even though some of the names are so established that they appear
      on maps, others may have fallen out of use. Rep. Rex Baker said he
      saw a map of Mount Jefferson State Park with one of the mountain
      names covered.

      > Bill D. Noland, the Haywood County commissioners' chairman, said he
      had never heard of an offensively named spring that is supposed to be
      in Haywood. And S. Paul O'Neal, commissioners' chairman in Currituck,
      said he had never heard of a similarly named bay in his county.

      > "I've never heard of it, and I live right on the sound," he
      said. "But if there are places with names such as that, then they
      certainly should not continue with that name. I would hope that we've
      moved beyond that."