39602Sefdaania: Ethran citadels

  • caeruleancentaur
    Jan 22, 2014

      I’ve been mulling over the situation of the Ethrans (the Children of Air) in Sefdaania.  When created, each of the Loquent Peoples was assigned an ecosystem in which to live.  While it’s easy to live beside a lake (Hydorans) or a river (Pyrans), in the forests (Xylans) or the mountains (Lithans), or on the steppes (Humans), I find it difficult to live “in the air”.  I’ve rejected life in the clouds or on flying islands (Laputa notwithstanding), so I decided to place them on mountain tops.  Their seven dwellings, known as citadels, are located on the tops of the seven highest peaks that surround the steppes in eastern Europe.  These citadels are not visible, but are entered through a stone arch (à la TARDIS).

      The problem is: how do the Ethrans carry out food production in such places?  I have decided that upon passing through the stone arch one enters an “otherworldly” place.  Another dimension?  A parallel universe?  Another planet?  I don’t know.

      When one passes through the stone arch one finds oneself about 50 feet from the main door of the citadel.  Walking around the citadel, one will find that it is located in the center of a vast well-watered plain.  In the distance, in three directions are snow-capped mountains.  In the other direction, the plain extends to the horiozon.  It is on this plain that the Ethrans grow their crops and pasture their herds.  The flora and fauna of this plain is terran.

      From no citadel can another citadel be seen.  Is another citadel beyond the mountains or in another dimension or universe?  I don’t know.

      Other than the production of food, all life activities, which I have described before, take place in the citadel.  However, I have added another room to the citadel.  This is how I described the entrance to the citadel: “The main entrance leads into a large rotunda, the ceiling of which is painted a light blue.  On it in gold are painted the stars visible from that location at midnight on the winter solstice.   Against the walls to either side, following the curve of the wall, are staircases leading up to the second floor. In the center of the rotunda is a fountain of a different design in each citadel.  Straight ahead there is a door leading into the worship room.  All doors are high enough to permit the comfortable entrance of a Xylan.”

      I am modifying this.  Straight ahead there is a semi-circular alcove, on either side of which there is an entrance into the worship room.  On the wall of the alcove are seven wooden arches.  Each of these arches is identified by a carving at the top of the arch as a doorway to one of the other citadels.  When one passes through the arch, one steps through the corresponding arch in another citadel.  I call this alcove, the Room of Portals.

      The center arch is dark, no longer functioning.  It became inoperable when the citadel of Tseliu was destroyed upon her rebellion against God.  Each of the other arches is illuminated by a dweomery light, the source of which cannot be seen.  Each of the lights is one of the six colors of the rainbow, in pastel shades, from left to right in the order of the rainbow.

      In days to come, I will revisit the Sefdaanian ethnology and readjust the details of the Ethran culture.

      Charlie