Re: [stack] Compiling latest Joy

  • Ocie Mitchell
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2001
      --- Manfred von Thun <phimvt@...>
      wrote:

      > On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, John Cowan wrote:
      >
      > > Ocie Mitchell scripsit:
      > >
      > > > Sorry to post such an elementary question,
      >
      > There is no need to apologise, this one of the
      > reasons
      > for the mailing group.
      >
      > > > but I want
      > > > to start using the language as soon as possible.
      > > > grabbed the latest tarfile of the Joy sources
      > and was
      > > > able to compile OK, but the interpreter gives me
      > > > errors when I try to define via the '=='
      > operator:
      > >
      > > Definitions are only recognized between LIBRA (for
      > which DEFINE is
      > > a synonym) and a period, thus:
      > >
      > > LIBRA
      > > foo == dup *;
      > > bar == dup +.
      > >
      > > Individual definitions are separated by
      > semicolons.
      >
      > Thanks for the clarification, John.

      Yes, this clears a lot of things up. On a related
      note, does this mean that you can't programmatically
      create a definition? Is this something that is
      intentionally not allowed?

      Thanks again,

      Ocie Mitchell

    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2001
        Ocie Mitchell wrote:

        > Yes, this clears a lot of things up. On a related
        > note, does this mean that you can't programmatically
        > create a definition? Is this something that is
        > intentionally not allowed?

        Basically no (it would be possible to bypass the
        rules by writing out definitions into a file and
        then using "include" on the file). Defined words
        are essential for modularity, but they are not
        actually necessary, since each is replaced
        *directly* by its definition. The Joy1 system
        does this at run time, but in principle it
        could be done at compile time instead
        (except for problems with recursion, which
        can be eliminated by using combinators instead).

        --
        Not to perambulate || John Cowan <jcowan@...>
        the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com