Murder, Conan style? (2)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
      Quoted and translated from Singhtao, Hong Kong:

      (After the murder) Wu stole all the money at home to pretend it to be a robbery and then use the money at the cybercafe nearby. He
      purposely walk around the people workedthere to mak an alibi. Wu claimed his killing methods are learnt from the anime Detective
      Conan.

      MMC wrote:

      > http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/detail.asp?ID=16572&GRP=B
      > Please be well noted that the "a Japanese cartoon on television" is definately Conan, according to Chinese-language press.
      >

      > --

      Samuel Curtis, Shinichian "shinri ha itsumo hitotsu!"

      Guardian of the Republic of Conania, otherwise known as Hong Kong (The title is imaginary. However, I'm veritly pro-independence.)

    • Ai
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
        hi people,

        wow~ I read the artical, scary...but possible though.

        take care,

        ---Ai

        P.S. think would it be better if the kid, change the message
        machine's time and leave some messages during the killing, and change
        back the time...that might give him more evidence that he was not
        there at the time. (but that's only if he have a message machine
        though..) hahaha...but the internet cafe could definatly check the
        record and would know what time he got there, so it's not that
        safe..

        --- In conan@y..., Samuel Curtis <conanchristie@e...> wrote:
        > Quoted and translated from Singhtao, Hong Kong:
        >
        > (After the murder) Wu stole all the money at home to pretend it to
        be a robbery and then use the money at the cybercafe nearby. He
        > purposely walk around the people workedthere to mak an alibi. Wu
        claimed his killing methods are learnt from the anime Detective
        > Conan.
        >
        > MMC wrote:
        >
        > > http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/detail.asp?ID=16572&GRP=B
        > > Please be well noted that the "a Japanese cartoon on television"
        is definately Conan, according to Chinese-language press.

        > > --
        >
        > Samuel Curtis, Shinichian "shinri ha itsumo hitotsu!"
        >
        > Guardian of the Republic of Conania, otherwise known as Hong Kong
        (The title is imaginary. However, I'm veritly pro-independence.)

        > Caritas Optimus Veritas
        > Love Ideal Truth
      • Eon Strife
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
          Well, it's a pity that the kid 'imitate' the negative
          side of Conan, I hope that one day I read a news in
          newspaper, that someone Conan-freak can solve the
          puzzle of murder case. But the truth is...
          And, his trick is very simple even I consider it's not
          a trick, I think that even Kogoro Mori can solve this
          case !!!

          BTW, I don't see Conan in Taiwanese TV channel (CTS)
          today!!! CTS put another anime, I don't know if CTS
          has planned this or because of this crime.... Does
          anyone know when CTS will air Conan ?

          And about the videogame things, not only blame the
          parents(but the parents even buy the game for his/her
          kid after knowing what kind of a game, see below), but
          also need to blame the retailer. Here's what I quote
          from "Letters to the Editors" from Electronic Gaming
          Monthly vol. 120 July 1999 :

          ~~~
          Who's To Blame ?

          I'm an anthropology grad student and have done some
          reseearch into the validity of video game violence and
          its effects on people, primarily children. It has been
          my experience that there is some form of influence
          from video games and other forms of popular culture of
          people. As to what those influenced by these forms of
          popular culture do is left up to them.
          I recently watched "60 Minutes" (for a brief second
          until it pissed me off beyond belief). Supposedly,
          some victims and their families of these numerous
          school shootings are suing not only the film and video
          game industry, but such individual as Marilyn Manson.
          I worked for nearly six years for a major computer
          software and video game retailer. During that time,
          Night Trap made its foreboding appearance. After Night
          Trap came the eventual establishment of the video game
          rating system. What happened next at the store I
          worked in is unbelieavable for many. The company
          insisted that we "card" every young purchaser of video
          games that had anything besides the "E" rating.
          Reluctantly, we did so. Kids, not even 10 yet, would
          come into the store to but Mortal Kombat and Street
          Fighter. Many sales were refused simply because the
          kids were too young to buy the "T" and "M" rated
          games. Within hours, the parents of whoever would drag
          the kid back into the store, demanding to know why we
          refused to sell the game to their child. This happened
          nearly 90 percent of the time. We explained the rating
          system and the violent content of the game, yet it all
          fell on deaf ears. Instead, in order to "keep the
          customer happy," we sold the games to the parents
          instead. A week or so later, a company wide memo was
          sent out for all employess to stop refusing video game
          sales based on age restrictions.
          I saw a great quote at a video game cheat Web
          site."There is more to life that video games and
          girls. Try living a little. Get off the damn computer
          and enjoy life." I'm tired of reputable industries
          taking the blame for bad parenting and decaying
          society. Thanks for giving me a place other than my
          wife's poor, tired ear to vent.

          Ken A.
          Hattiesburg, MS

          ~~~