On writing (was Re: Chapter 3)

  • Victor S.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2001
      >From: "Iman & Hibbah" <iman_hibbah@...>
      >I'm great reader! I read every book I lay my hands on at least 20 times,
      >so I have an idea about how writers use the verbs, adjectives, etc. I guess
      >I have been trying to use some of the ideas I read in books in my fic. It
      >isn't easy though. (sigh)

      I'd rather not read the same book more than 5 times. Try to read across the
      different geners out there.

      Nothing is easy.. It's you love for it that make you feel that way. Just
      have patience and practice a lot and you will get right, time after time. I
      know that writing is something hard to do, I've a firsthand experience into

      Patience makes a woman beautiful in middle age.
      - Elliot Paul

      Patience means self-suffering.
      - Mahatma Gandhi

      Pateince is two: pateince on what you hate and pateince on what you love.
      - Ali Bin Abi-Taleb

      If you practice enough and have pateince, you may discover the hidden talent
      within. Do not destroy that now by such unreasonable alibis. Be optimistic
      rather than cycinal.

      Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes
      - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

      We are told that talent creates its own opportunities. But it sometimes
      seems that intense desire creates not only its own opportunities, but its
      own talents.
      - Eric Hoffer

      Here, if you don't mind, some good notes on writing.. I got those from one

      Form, Depth and Substance

      Do you have a great story that is trying to push out of you but you just
      don�t know where to start? Or, have you started it several times but in
      doing so, feel it does not have the substance or quality that it demands? Is
      it possible that you are starting a race you may not have the training for?
      Well, let�s get training then. In this first addition of the For Authors
      newsletter, I am continuing with a three part series discussing form, depth
      and substance to help you "flesh out" that story urgently pressing to be

      Writing is an expression of art that is carved out with the use of words
      rather than stone and chisel or canvas and paintbrush. Yet, much of the
      basic techniques used to develop one can be effectively applied to the
      other. Even artists must first learn to draw before they can begin a
      masterpiece. After mastering shapes and forms, the artist must learn to give
      his art depth. This is accomplished by drawing only the shadows, or the
      negative space of an object rather than just the outline. How can this
      concept be applied to writing? Think of your characters and go back and look
      at some of your older writing. Did you merely define your characters by
      form, only outlining their personalities, or did you give them depth? Allow
      me to demonstrate:

      form only: Johnny was a rebel. He hated everything and everyone and he
      wanted the world to know it.

      depth and form: Johnny sauntered through the door and looked around,
      skulking. Licking his lips, he spied the beer cooler and made for it,
      snatching the cigarette from behind his ear and lighting it up. After making
      his selection and ignoring the clerk who was persistent in asserting that
      smoking was not allowed, he slammed a six-pack down on counter and threw out
      some cash. Then, after blowing a thick puff of bluish smoke in the
      distressed clerk�s face, gruffly and directly said only one thing, meaning
      it as a request.

      "Marlboro Reds", he growled.

      Note that nowhere in the latter description did I tell you anything
      personally about Johnny, but rather I showed you. Instead of outlining his
      characteristics, I highlighted his personality using his behavior as he
      interacted with other characters and objects. In art they call this the use
      of lights and darks. When applied to writing, the concept seems somehow
      exciting, doesn�t it?

      Exercise about Substance:
      This exercise is more of a cognitive one. Imagine now how your characters
      will behave with one another and the objects of your story. Try not to
      describe them, instead allow them to describe themselves to you by how they
      would behave and react. Scribble down any ideas that you get not worrying
      about spelling or grammar. You might want to start by taking one character
      and moving him/her down your list of characters and objects asking yourself
      what his/her disposition would be with each. Again, when you get an idea
      write it down.

      Once your characters are well acquainted with one another and you have a
      clear idea of their contributions to your story, prepare yourselves, for
      next time we will discuss substance and begin you to flesh out your story.

      - Victor S.
      The clock just tick-tock...

    • Iman & Hibbah
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20, 2001
        Thanks for the notes! They helped a great deal!