movies on video

  • Iman & Hibbah
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2001
      Hi
      I have a bit of a problem. I live in the UAE. I don't understand any Japanese, but I was wondering if the movies are available in English or Arabic somewhere in the Middle East.
      Bibo
    • Victor S.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2001
        Well, in Arabic there is none.. maybe Venus would do the first movie soon.
        There were rumors they are doing it but nothing is here. As for the English
        there are movies one and two (subtitled) and the fansub group my friend
        knows will release the first season TV show soon (they are working up to the
        fourth season).

        - Victor S.
        Just buy the raw Japanese ones.. I don't know that much Japanese but I
        really enjoyed movies 2, 3 & 4 even without subtitles... heh heh.. "Anata
        dare?.. Dracula-san?" <- which movie? ^_^

        >From: "Iman & Hibbah" <iman_hibbah@...>
        >
        >Hi
        >I have a bit of a problem. I live in the UAE. I don't understand any
        >Japanese, but I was wondering if the movies are available in English or
        >Arabic somewhere in the Middle East.
        >Bibo

      • Diane Moh
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2001
          Sorry! I wish I could help but i'm chinese, and that's
          what I've seen two movies in. Sorry that I couldn't
          help.
          Diane a.k.a. Shadow

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • jessica
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2001
            > From: "Victor S." <Anime_21st@...>
            > Well, in Arabic there is none.. maybe Venus would do the first movie soon.
            > There were rumors they are doing it but nothing is here. As for the English
            > there are movies one and two (subtitled) and the fansub group my friend
            > knows will release the first season TV show soon (they are working up to the
            > fourth season).

            Wow, there's a fansub group doing that much? Do you know who they are?

            Also . . . while looking for Garasu no kutsu (love that show!) VCDs,
            I found a store that carries Chinese-made DVDs of the 3rd & 4th
            movies English subtitled, US$23 each, all region. At least, it says
            they are. ^^;; Has anyone seen these and is able to report on the
            quality of the translation? < http://www.videocd2000.com/dvdanime.htm >
            They also carry Ayatsuri Sakon, which I've been looking for all over . . .
            sigh . . .

            > Just buy the raw Japanese ones.. I don't know that much Japanese but I
            > really enjoyed movies 2, 3 & 4 even without subtitles... heh heh.. "Anata
            > dare?.. Dracula-san?" <- which movie? ^_^

            Fufu. ^o^ "Baaro . . . itsuka tsukamaete yaru ni . . . kimaten daro!" (Go Conan!)

            I just rent them, because Japanese DVDs are usually way out of my
            price range . . . I'd like to buy Chinese VCDs that have the Japanese
            soundtrack on them, but they're also too expensive for me. ._. Not to
            mention I don't know anything of their quality . . .

            --jessica
            jiwbil at nethere dot com
            http://tbns.net/jubilee47
            ICQ# 94647725
          • Victor S.
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2001
              >From: "jessica" <jiwbil@...>
              >
              > > From: "Victor S." <Anime_21st@...>
              > > Well, in Arabic there is none.. maybe Venus would do the first movie
              >soon.
              > > There were rumors they are doing it but nothing is here. As for the
              >English
              > > there are movies one and two (subtitled) and the fansub group my friend
              > > knows will release the first season TV show soon (they are working up to
              >the
              > > fourth season).
              >
              >Wow, there's a fansub group doing that much? Do you know who they are?

              Myself I don't know.. but I'll ask my friend who deal with them about their
              identity... the thing is, they're doing this in batche so they'll release
              the first season forst then the second and so on. So it will be somtime
              between the releases. Another thing, they are videotaping the show from TV
              so don't expect high quality here.

              >Also . . . while looking for Garasu no kutsu (love that show!) VCDs,
              >I found a store that carries Chinese-made DVDs of the 3rd & 4th
              >movies English subtitled, US$23 each, all region. At least, it says
              >they are. ^^;; Has anyone seen these and is able to report on the
              >quality of the translation? < http://www.videocd2000.com/dvdanime.htm >
              >They also carry Ayatsuri Sakon, which I've been looking for all over . . .
              >sigh . . .

              Well, heh heh, I just recieved my $9.99 You Are Under Arrest OVA DVD of this
              kind and the subtitles.. well, are not that good, not even up to the par
              with weakest fansubbing group I've seen for (but at least no dirty talk like
              some poor subtitlers). Not to make that bad, the subtitles are clear (white
              and slightly bigger than American companies' DVD subtitles... never like
              Pioneer's or ADV's subtitling, too thin for my eyes). Anyway, it seems the
              Chinese company who did the translation do not have that much experiance in
              either Japanese or English. In Japanese they mis-translate some words like
              'Maska' to 'Should it be', 'Nani' to 'No' (when said in wondering) and 'So
              ne baka ne' into 'why is that?". In English, there are some grammar mistake
              like saying 'I help you'. 'I go'.. man! But the picture and sound quality of
              the DVD itself is pretty awesome.

              And then, this is not a mistake in this title only, I've got another DVD
              with the same problems... but I would not complain with this very cheap
              price... Hmm, wonder if these are legal copies...

              There are some website that sell these items like:

              www.sakuramedia.com
              www.orangeb.com

              You can also find M.Conan movies 3&4 (Chinese sub, on-off) there, but the
              DVD qulaity of these are not that good (to me, it seems.. they've recorded
              these DVDs form a VHS or an LD)

              Check sakuramedia.com they've some Conan OSTs.. yey! gotta buy these when
              money comes....

              Ja ne!

              - Victor S.
              Who got his jaw violently dropped to the ground when he recieved VISA's bank
              statment for the month of April... $400! when did I buy that much... sigh!

            • Mafioso Misterioso
              Message 6 of 8 , May 16, 2001
                > And then, this is not a mistake in this title only, I've got
                another DVD
                > with the same problems... but I would not complain with this very
                cheap
                > price... Hmm, wonder if these are legal copies...

                They might be original copies, but it is certainly not one from the
                top end range... -__- (I wish my Chinese friends at school can also
                improve their oral communication skills ::sigh::)

                > Who got his jaw violently dropped to the ground when he recieved
                VISA's bank
                > statment for the month of April... $400! when did I buy that
                much... sigh!

                Hmmm... how old are you? If over 18 and you're already working (and
                earning *lots* of money), ...well, be wise with your money. If the
                VISA card is a supplementary card....... my my my (you must be
                a 'rich brat' kind of boy) ::sigh:: My sister has a shopping appetite
                similar to that one.

                Marsha
              • Victor S.
                Message 7 of 8 , May 17, 2001
                  >From: "Mafioso Misterioso" <bbeq@...>
                  >

                  > > And then, this is not a mistake in this title only, I've got
                  >another DVD
                  > > with the same problems... but I would not complain with this very
                  >cheap
                  > > price... Hmm, wonder if these are legal copies...
                  >
                  >They might be original copies, but it is certainly not one from the
                  >top end range... -__- (I wish my Chinese friends at school can also
                  >improve their oral communication skills ::sigh::)

                  But it is not normal to see original DVDs at this price... below even the
                  half price of the same Japanese ones.

                  > > Who got his jaw violently dropped to the ground when he recieved
                  >VISA's bank
                  > > statment for the month of April... $400! when did I buy that
                  >much... sigh!
                  > >

                  >Hmmm... how old are you? If over 18 and you're already working (and
                  >earning *lots* of money), ...well, be wise with your money. If the
                  >VISA card is a supplementary card....... my my my (you must be
                  >a 'rich brat' kind of boy) ::sigh:: My sister has a shopping appetite
                  >similar to that one.

                  22 years and no I'm still a junior student at university... man, the Visa I
                  got is a 'student' one with a dept limit of $500... and I'm not rich (wish I
                  was).. I will be paying that for the following 3 or 4 months.. and that
                  means no purchases affordable.. In a month I've spent more than the amount I
                  spent last year.. Now, what did I buy with that much?

                  - Victor S.
                  Wish he had not gotten a Visa at all
                • Victor S.
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 17, 2001