What is a filler episode?

  • Samuel Curtis-MMC
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2001
      As title. Thanks.

      --
      Samuel Curtis, Shinichian

      May the light of
      Liberty shines over this land,
      and may Eternal Truth
      prevail alway!
      And have the spirit of Equality
      secured in the hearts of us--
      that's always our destiny!

      (The Nation's Prayer, to the tune the chorus of
      "Like Standing on Ice")

    • Krista Perry
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2001
        A filler episode is an anime episode that doesn't have any connection with
        the manga storyline. Thus, it's "filler," and not actually part of Gosho
        Aoyama's storyline.

        Technically, the movies could also be considered "filler," but fortunately,
        even being filler, the Conan movies are much, much better quality than most
        other anime movies that stray from their manga sources.

        -Krista
        http://www.akane.org/fanfiction/DetectiveConan

        > (The Nation's Prayer, to the tune the chorus of
        > "Like Standing on Ice")
        >
        > Caritas Optimus Veritas
        > Love Ideal Truth

      • jessica
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2001
          > From: "Krista Perry" <kperry@...>
          > Technically, the movies could also be considered "filler," but fortunately,
          > even being filler, the Conan movies are much, much better quality than most
          > other anime movies that stray from their manga sources.

          I know that Aoyama doesn't write the movies, but I'm not really sure of
          how much involvement he really does have in their making. He's at least
          made aware of how the movies come out before they're released, which
          is more than one can say for some other manga authors . . . Personally,
          I don't really consider the movies filler, because characters and
          background which were made for the movies were incorporated into the
          manga after they were released in theaters.

          --jessica
          jiwbil at nethere dot com
          http://tbns.net/jubilee47
          ICQ# 94647725
        • Mafioso Misterioso
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11, 2001
            > I know that Aoyama doesn't write the movies, but I'm not really
            sure of
            > how much involvement he really does have in their making. He's at
            least
            > made aware of how the movies come out before they're released,
            which
            > is more than one can say for some other manga authors . . .
            Personally,
            > I don't really consider the movies filler, because characters and
            > background which were made for the movies were incorporated into
            the
            > manga after they were released in theaters.

            Aoyama does write the plot of the movies' stories in general, but he
            doesn't get into details about how the characters are dresses etc,
            except if he wants to state a point from a little, almost
            unnoticeable thing. He works out the sketches, his assistants help
            him finish them into a much better thing (for sure Aoyama does the
            posters), then the scripts are sent to an animation company to be
            worked out. That's why we often find the picture quality in his
            movies aren't as good as what we get in his manga.

            Marsha