you know what i think? Dr. Araide is a nerd!

  • pheebz_gu@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
      really i mean look at him! the glasses, the hair, it's like
      screaming "i'm a nerd!"
      okay i might be saying this cause i really like shinichi as a
      character but it's kind of truth you know! and does ran like actually
      even like him? i mean get a life she doesn't love him so why don't he
      wake up?

      And also if i get anything wrong correct cause i've only ever seen
      Dr. Araide once and for a very short time
      but still i get the idea
    • jessica
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
        > From: <pheebz_gu@...>
        > really i mean look at him! the glasses, the hair, it's like
        > screaming "i'm a nerd!"

        Hmph. That's a stereotype. =P

        I think his character design was made that particular way
        so as to ensure the maximum possibility of Conan getting
        jealous about him and Ran. ^^;; He appears to be intelligent,
        handsome, young . . . he's even from a rich family and on
        his way to becoming a doctor. ^^ The kind of guy that
        mothers would want their daughters married off to . . .
        Even Kogorou expressed that opinion, albeit jokingly. ^^;;;
        So I think that's the archetype he fits, rather than being a
        nerd. I've never seen him as nerdy, though he might be
        kind of a snob . . . Of course, Conan can be snobbish, too. ;p

        When I first saw him, I really didn't like him. Not that he did
        anything particularly offensive, but he just rubbed me the
        wrong way. I think Conan's dislike of him was partially
        transferred to me. ^^;;; But he was very brave in the
        busjacking case in vol. 29, and my respect for him really
        increased. So now I like him, and . . . I even plan fanfic
        with him . . . ;o~~

        > okay i might be saying this cause i really like shinichi as a
        > character but it's kind of truth you know! and does ran like actually
        > even like him? i mean get a life she doesn't love him so why don't he
        > wake up?

        Does Ran even like who? ^^;; Of course she likes Shin'ichi.
        I don't know where people get the idea of Dr. Araide being
        in love with Ran, or vice versa . . . It was all in Conan's head.
        For all we know, he could already have a girlfriend (or
        boyfriend). And for all we know, he could be in love with
        Ran. My point is, we just don't have enough information
        about that to make anything more than speculation . . . he's
        only appeared in vols 24, 26, & 29, hasn't he? Unless there
        have been any recent developments with him, that is. ;o

        --jessica, who got a Phouvieng Vathalisak album, yey! ^o^
        jiwbil at nethere dot com
        http://tbns.net/jubilee47
        ICQ# 94647725
      • Samuel Curtis-MMC
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
          jessica wrote:

          > > From: <pheebz_gu@...>
          > > really i mean look at him! the glasses, the hair, it's like
          > > screaming "i'm a nerd!"
          >
          > Hmph. That's a stereotype. =P

          Stereotyping is a kind of discrimination, in my opinion.

          > I think his character design was made that particular way
          > so as to ensure the maximum possibility of Conan getting
          > jealous about him and Ran. ^^;; He appears to be intelligent,
          > handsome, young . . . he's even from a rich family and on
          > his way to becoming a doctor. ^^

          Except the last point, than, he's pretty similar to Shinichi, though Shinichi
          would be thought as less handsome than Araide by some...

          > The kind of guy that mothers would want their daughters married off to . .
          > .
          > Even Kogorou expressed that opinion, albeit jokingly. ^^;;;

          It's a hard job for Ran to persuade Eri to marry with Shinichi...check
          Vol.17.

          > > okay i might be saying this cause i really like shinichi as a
          > > character but it's kind of truth you know! and does ran like actually
          > > even like him? i mean get a life she doesn't love him so why don't he
          > > wake up?

          He's talking on Araide. He thought he should give up.

          > Does Ran even like who? ^^;; Of course she likes Shin'ichi.
          > I don't know where people get the idea of Dr. Araide being
          > in love with Ran, or vice versa . . . It was all in Conan's head.

          No factual evidence for "Araide in love with Ran". You know, jealousy can get
          the most objective person to be subjective...

          > For all we know, he could already have a girlfriend (or
          > boyfriend). And for all we know, he could be in love with
          > Ran. My point is, we just don't have enough information
          > about that to make anything more than speculation . . . he's
          > only appeared in vols 24, 26, & 29, hasn't he? Unless there
          > have been any recent developments with him, that is. ;o

          I really wasn't sure if Aoyama wants to develop his line

          --
          Samuel Curtis, Shinichian

          May the light of
          Liberty shines over this land,
          and may Eternal Truth
          prevail alway!
          And have the spirit of Equality
          secured in the hearts of us--
          that's always our destiny!

          (The Nation's Prayer, to the tune the chorus of
          "Like Standing on Ice")

        • pheebz_gu@yahoo.com.au
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
            sorry sorry for the nerd thing it was a mistake
            but what do you mean only appeared in volume 24 26 & 29? see what i
            mean!i hate australia! i only saw him in a manga scan online
            sorry to everyone i offended
          • jessica
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
              > From: <pheebz_gu@...>
              > sorry sorry for the nerd thing it was a mistake

              Nothing to apologize about, everyone has their opinions. ^^

              > but what do you mean only appeared in volume 24 26 & 29? see what i
              > mean!i hate australia! i only saw him in a manga scan online

              Yep, he only made an appearance in the 2nd case in vol. 24
              (anime ep. name, "A blind spot in the midst of darkness"), the
              1st case in vol. 26 ("The desperate revival"), and vol. 29. (the
              busjack one; "The enigmatic passenger"). And he's mentioned
              in the arcade murder case in vol. 27 ("The snare of the battle
              game"). Other than that, I can't think of any other places he's
              popped up in.

              Do you read any languages other than English? Depending
              on what they are, there may be translations in those languages,
              and there may be online stores with those translations, if there
              aren't any of their bookstores in your area . . .

              > sorry to everyone i offended

              Oh, I don't think you should worry about that. Opinions are
              opinions; nothing to get offended over.

              --jessica, who wants to translate that vol. 24 case once she
              gets finished with the oosaka serial murders case ^^;; if no
              one else wants to, that is...
              jiwbil at nethere dot com
              http://tbns.net/jubilee47
              ICQ# 94647725
            • Mafioso Misterioso
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 11, 2001
                > Hmph. That's a stereotype. =P

                Looks can be deceiving. Don't judge a book by its cover.

                (Yesterday I went to Moomba with not-so-usual clothes with my
                fellowship friends - I usually wear my school uniform since the
                service starts at 5PM in Friday - and some of the newer guys thought
                I was 19 or so. I'm still 16!! *screams*)

                > I think his character design was made that particular way
                > so as to ensure the maximum possibility of Conan getting
                > jealous about him and Ran. ^^;; He appears to be intelligent,
                > handsome, young . . . he's even from a rich family and on
                > his way to becoming a doctor. ^^ The kind of guy that
                > mothers would want their daughters married off to . . .
                > Even Kogorou expressed that opinion, albeit jokingly. ^^;;;
                > So I think that's the archetype he fits, rather than being a
                > nerd. I've never seen him as nerdy, though he might be
                > kind of a snob . . . Of course, Conan can be snobbish, too. ;p

                Yeah, I really think Araide of the kind of person who's an all-
                rounder. His first name, Tomoaki, reminds me of someone =*__*= It's a
                normal reaction that Kogorou has when he mentions the possibility of
                Ran loving/marrying Araide... in his mind, it's possible. It makes
                Conan jealous, since he really thinks Ran wouldn't be able to fall in
                love with someone else but him. That possibility makes Conan goes
                frantic in thoughts... especially that Araide is the kind of
                heartwarming person. His attempt to rescue Conan increases my
                interests in him. And it also recalls my mom's words into my
                head... "Marsha, go marry an optometrist!"

                > Does Ran even like who? ^^;; Of course she likes Shin'ichi.
                > I don't know where people get the idea of Dr. Araide being
                > in love with Ran, or vice versa . . . It was all in Conan's head.
                > For all we know, he could already have a girlfriend (or
                > boyfriend). And for all we know, he could be in love with
                > Ran. My point is, we just don't have enough information
                > about that to make anything more than speculation . . . he's
                > only appeared in vols 24, 26, & 29, hasn't he? Unless there
                > have been any recent developments with him, that is. ;o

                That is only a jealousy in Conan's head, that's for sure. Ran is
                surely attached to Shinichi the way he's attached to her. Of course,
                jealousy arises when someone sees his beloved someone getting close
                with a member of her opposite sex, especially when the person is
                highly attractive to everyone (as what Jessica said, attractive to
                mothers... ^~^;;)

                Marsha