  • Mehdi Rifai
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      Dear Everyone:
      Umm... this is only the second time I write to you guys, so you might not
      remember me at all, though I have been a member since october. Anyway, I
      must have missed some of the mls ( I normally read all of them but it's
      finals week) because you guys are talking wether or not Viz will bring
      Detective Conan over to the states or not. I would volunteer to write them a
      letter if no one else is interested, since I desparately want some conan
      Manga in English.

      I was also wondering if the french Manga are any good? a friend of mine
      brings Le Chevalier de Zodiaque, and in one of them theres a comercial for
      detective Conan Manga in french. He said that it shouldn't be too hard for
      him to bring me some issues along with him, so how about it? I don't really
      read french, but beggars can't be choosers, and at the moment, the only
      other conan related item I could hope to find is non liscenced bubble gum,
      and I have to drive three hours to get it.

      Also, I noticed a couple of Arabs joining the ml, so I was wondering if any
      of them know where I could get Conan, or any other manga, related items in
      the beirut, lebanon region. preferably Hamra and Verdan, but anywhere else
      is also fine.

      well thanks guys, and sorry I don't participate more often. I'm super
      interested in the series, but I really have no access to it, so if any of
      you could help me, you'd have one grateful customer!

      see ya!
      Mehdi S. Rifai

      Off Topic: one of your letters said that Anime's target is young children
      and some teenagers. Not backed by statistics, but if you don't count Pokemon
      and Digimon, which are nice shows but I'm ready to argue are not Anime, The
      majority of the Anime market is older Highschoolers and College Students of
      all ages. And deep anime do sell, check Amazon.com's sales numbers on Serial
      Experiments Lain, and is that ever deep.
      Off Topic2: why does Sasami have to change her name to Mourian since Yahoo!
      took over egroups? and how does the merger affect egroups at all?

      Thanks for your patience. See ya.
      Mehdi
    • Erika
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
        > Off Topic: one of your letters said that Anime's target is young children
        > and some teenagers. Not backed by statistics, but if you don't count Pokemon
        > and Digimon, which are nice shows but I'm ready to argue are not Anime, The
        > majority of the Anime market is older Highschoolers and College Students of
        > all ages. And deep anime do sell, check Amazon.com's sales numbers on Serial
        > Experiments Lain, and is that ever deep.

        Anime isn't really mass market. It's more like a nitche market. And
        this means that the teenage oriented anime isn't going to air during
        the prime time on regular stations. Cable is different and their
        standards are more relaxed (that's why they can get away with shows
        like South Park and even that show is aired after the kiddies go to
        bed). The teenage stuff we're talking about are direct to tape stuff.
        They're not aired on TV like it is with Pokemon and Digimon so they
        wouldn't get the wide coverage as the two shows do. Conan, with all the
        blood and murders that's going on (even it is for a good reason, not
        really good, but you guys know what I mean), the only way it'd get
        shown with the least amount of censoring would be late at night.
        Unfortunately, Americans still see anime as cartoons, stuff for little
        kids. Not something they could enjoy so the show would miss it's target
        audience. The truth is, Conan's target audience is for pre-teen and
        teenager. The show is good enough that it attracts adults to it, too.
        It's very contradictory to what Americans believe in about animation.

        > Off Topic2: why does Sasami have to change her name to Mourian since Yahoo!
        > took over egroups? and how does the merger affect egroups at all?

        I have a geocities account from before the Yahoo/Geocities takeover, it
        is mouriran (I got it cuz I had too much traffic going in to my
        Earthlink account for Conan and Flame of Recca so I got a geocities
        account to take up the Recca traffic...then Conan got too big and I had
        to move Conan to megami.net). Then Yahoo took over Geocities, then they
        took over eGroups. Now, since this is Yahoo Groups, I am now known as
        mouriran in Yahoo/Geocities/eGroups' computer. Lovely, huh?

        -Sasami/mouriran/Erika
        identity crisis?