[conan] A Comment to Erica-Sasami's Fansub, Some Extra Character Info I've deduced and A Topic for Discussion

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 8:11 AM
      Yes, I do support Erica doing her own version of Fansub -- I would not
      doubt the quality of fansubs done by a seasoned Conanian, and I fear
      Fox's version would cause some misunderstanding; Asian stations tend to
      be "loyal" to the original version, but I do doubt if the Americans
      would do it right, as in a commerical station like Fox. But I shall warn
      Erica to use words carefully as this would undoubtfully pose an image
      for the character concrened. For example, I would see Shinichi as a
      (often) refined person, and I wouldn't very happy if I found you
      portrayed him as Garrett the Second (for this noun, ask Cherie for
      explantion; she should know what I mean.).

      The character info I've deduced:

      1. Eri should be paying the living expenses of Ran before Conan came.
      The evidence: If Sonoko (Daughter of a zaibatsu) and Shinichi (Son
      of a successful novel writer; I bet Yusaku must be rather rich) are
      in Teitan Middle School, it's easy to guess it's a private,
      expensive one (as like public schools in Britain). You know Kogoro
      have been earning very little since he divorced (his agency lacked
      customers), the tuition should be paid by Eri... Also, as I said
      Kogoro's agency lacked customers, the Mouris should have very
      little money, but they didn't strave... if Eri didn't give any
      money to Ran, how could the Moruris in that shape! (Of course now
      Kogoro is pretty rich, as in Esp. 126 (The Dark Organization's
      Billion-Yen Robbery), Kogoro's bank book has been filled so he
      attemped to ask Akeme to change his book.)
      2. It seems that Genta would also be a flirter when he grown up. In
      Esp. 127 (The Girl from the Dark Organization) when the DBs are
      seaching for the boy's brother in a game centre, Genta seemed to be
      attracted to a H-Game console.

      The topic to be discussed: If you were a student in Teitan's 1B class,
      what would you feel of Conan as a classmate? Don't forget you should be
      thinking like a six-year-old!

      --

      "Quest for Love, Quest for Dream, Quest for All Truth!!"
      T'is the aim we would strive for, secured in our minds!
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 11:26 PM
        I was thinking, since Fox supposedly acquired the rights to Conan, are they
        going to go after the web pages that have any Conan pictures on them?
        That's what they did with the X-Files, but I'm not sure if they're run by
        the same division or not or if that even matters. They're the same company
        right? Legal thoughts I don't want to think about.

        BTW, not to be mean, but my name is spelled with a 'k', not a 'c'. Erika,
        not Erica, okay? It's a pet peeve of mine. :P

        Ciao

        -Sasami/Erika/Empress of the Universe/neophyte Starcraft player :)
      • Jessica Romero
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 1:58 PM
          > From: Samuel Curtis <john_ma@...>
          >
          > Yes, I do support Erica doing her own version of Fansub -- I would not
          > doubt the quality of fansubs done by a seasoned Conanian, and I fear
          > Fox's version would cause some misunderstanding; Asian stations tend to
          > be "loyal" to the original version, but I do doubt if the Americans
          > would do it right, as in a commerical station like Fox. But I shall warn
          > Erica to use words carefully as this would undoubtfully pose an image
          > for the character concrened. For example, I would see Shinichi as a
          > (often) refined person, and I wouldn't very happy if I found you
          > portrayed him as Garrett the Second (for this noun, ask Cherie for
          > explantion; she should know what I mean.).

          I'm not fluent in Japanese, but from what I've read in the manga, Shin'ichi
          speaks in a very polite and educated form to his superiors, but while he's
          with his peers, he speaks like a normal teenage boy: slang, incorrect
          grammar, and all . . .

          Also, it seems like he has a tendency to use the abrupt-command form of
          verbs with Ran . . . is it common for boys to speak that way with girls they
          know very well? When I first noticed it, it sounded very rough to me . . .

          (Am I somewhere near the truth, or have I been reading too many fanfics? ^^;;;;)

          Actually, it wasn't until I started reading Conan that I really came to notice
          the differences in speech between people of different ages, sexes, and
          experiences . . . differences that were more pronounced in this language
          than in all of the other languages I've ever studied.

          But word choice is very important in a translation . . . I have seen many
          translations which have suffered from awkward or too uniform language,
          and were not as good as they could have been.

          Anyway, enough of me on my soapbox . . . you people in the know, could
          you tell the rest of us who Garrett the Second is? ^^;;

          > The character info I've deduced:
          >
          > 1. Eri should be paying the living expenses of Ran before Conan came.
          > The evidence: If Sonoko (Daughter of a zaibatsu) and Shinichi (Son
          > of a successful novel writer; I bet Yusaku must be rather rich) are
          > in Teitan Middle School, it's easy to guess it's a private,
          > expensive one (as like public schools in Britain). You know Kogoro
          > have been earning very little since he divorced (his agency lacked
          > customers), the tuition should be paid by Eri... Also, as I said
          > Kogoro's agency lacked customers, the Mouris should have very
          > little money, but they didn't strave... if Eri didn't give any
          > money to Ran, how could the Moruris in that shape! (Of course now
          > Kogoro is pretty rich, as in Esp. 126 (The Dark Organization's
          > Billion-Yen Robbery), Kogoro's bank book has been filled so he
          > attemped to ask Akeme to change his book.)

          You know, I just came to the same conclusion by myself yesterday. ^_^

          This would seem to be the case . . . also, Kogorou's apartment is quite
          spacious, and since space is at a premium in Japan, the rent paid for
          that property must be fairly pricy. Beika seems to be a pretty upper-
          class town, from all of the big properties there . . . The money must be
          coming from somewhere, and since Kogorou hadn't had a job for such
          a long time, it must have been coming from Eri, who should've been rich
          from being such a successful lawyer (if lawyers' salaries in Japan are
          anything like they are in the US).

          Are the Mouris really divorced? I had thought they were just separated . . .
          And I wonder if Japan has anything like a system of alimony or child
          support paid in a legal divorce or separation there . . .

          > 2. It seems that Genta would also be a flirter when he grown up. In
          > Esp. 127 (The Girl from the Dark Organization) when the DBs are
          > seaching for the boy's brother in a game centre, Genta seemed to be
          > attracted to a H-Game console.

          Really? Ewww . . . >_< He's just a first-grader!

          > The topic to be discussed: If you were a student in Teitan's 1B class,
          > what would you feel of Conan as a classmate? Don't forget you should be
          > thinking like a six-year-old!

          I don't know how to think like a six-year-old anymore . . . :(

          <predictable>

          . . . But I'd probably be thinking, "Conan-kun is so cool!", like I'm thinking
          right now . . .

          </predictable>

          But really, other than that, if I were a fellow 6-year-old, I doubt I would notice
          too much about him. I mean, I'm not sure if I would notice how very different
          he is compared to all of my other classmates . . . 1st graders aren't known for
          their powers of observation. ^_^;;

          -Jessica