[conan] Re: Westernization

  • Andrea Kastner
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 1999
      OK. Some of the clues can not be translated. But it's
      better to have the original names anyways.

      --- "Marsha D. Siagian" <bbeq@...> wrote:

      > However, ordinary translation (in the manga) ie
      > translating "susumu" to "to
      > go forward" is already destroying the piece-of-cake
      > art. I think the best
      > way to read Conan is to read the original version of
      > the black-and-white
      > manga.
      > (Conan in colours sometimes goes badly...)
      >
      > About one fifth of clues in Detective Conan is
      > related to Japanese and
      > kanji. Therefore, for some cases like the doctors'
      > one (... vol 10?), I
      > can't solve it. It is also turned backside-front in
      > some Westernized
      > countries (ie Indonesian, which is written like
      > writing English), so we
      > would get confused!!!!!
      >

      > >NOOOOO!!!
      > >I want them to keep the real names: I would hate it
      > if
      > >they took some horrible "western" names. I think
      > it
      > >would take so much away from Conan!
      > >Please, everyone, let's not let them do that to us!
      > >I know they did it in Mexico, and it sounds so
      > fake.
      > >=*o*= Grrrr
      > >(very mad Andrea)
      > >

      > >--- Samuel Curtis <john_ma@...> wrote:
      > > > If there would be an English Conan, would you
      > like
      > > > to have the proper
      > > > nouns westernized (i.e.:change it into some more
      > > > western names, e.g.
      > > > Mouri Ran into Sharon Maurice)? As I am
      > concerned
      > > > Mexicans did that...
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > >
      > > > Glory be to all Conanians!

      > KBkids.com
      > The Place for the Best Toys & Games!
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/966
      >

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/conan
      > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group
      > communications

      =====

    • Kudo Conan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 1999
        Yes, so do I. The original names're better. Moreover, Japanese names sound
        so unique :D

        >OK. Some of the clues can not be translated. But it's
        >better to have the original names anyways.
      • Cherie Ponsuwanna
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 1999
          Do they just change it or think about the meaning in
          Japanese before change? I mean, is western name has
          the same meaning as the name in Japanese?
          I've heard they do this with Sailor Moon in America.
          Aw, sounds horrible! :(

          --- Andrea Kastner <andreaak23@...> wrote:
          > NOOOOO!!!
          > I want them to keep the real names: I would hate it
          > if
          > they took some horrible "western" names. I think it
          > would take so much away from Conan!
          > Please, everyone, let's not let them do that to us!
          > I know they did it in Mexico, and it sounds so fake.
          > =*o*= Grrrr
          > (very mad Andrea)

          =====

        • Sasami
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 1999
            I wasn't too thrilled with the American names for Sailormoon. They changed
            Usagi to Serena, Mamoru to Darien, ChibiUsa to Rini. There is a lot of
            significance in their names and they changed it. The translated comics did
            some justice to the naming system, but I think it wasn't enough. They did
            still change Usagi's name, but they changed it to Bunny, which I think it
            very appropriate since "Usagi" means rabbit. And Mamoru, meaning "to
            protect," the originally translated name Darien was kept, but they used
            Shields as his last name. I dunno if the anime version's last name was
            Shield or not, but I think it wasn't. The translation is crazy in
            Sailormoon. They changed all they Sailor Soldiers names, too. But, one
            thing I have to admit is, if anime is to survive in another country, like
            America, the names have to be westernized (or whatever-ized), as much as it
            pains me to say it. That's the only way to get the average person into
            anime (or cartoons in their minds). I'm a purist, but I realize it's the
            only way to go if acceptance of anime and manga is to spread. Horrible, huh?

            -Sasami

            >Do they just change it or think about the meaning in
            >Japanese before change? I mean, is western name has
            >the same meaning as the name in Japanese?
            >I've heard they do this with Sailor Moon in America.
            >Aw, sounds horrible! :(

          • Andrea Kastner
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 1999
              No, when they change the names, they don't think about
              the meaning at all. The mexican names they chose are
              just normal names: they don't have any meaning.
              Another thing is that in english, names don't usually
              mean anything, unlike in some other languages.

              Cherie, did you know your name means sweetheart (or
              dear) in french?

              Anyways, I will not let them change the names in
              Conan. I was reading one of the mexican sites and the
              "western" names really bugged me!!
              -Andrea

              --- Cherie Ponsuwanna <ppcherie@...> wrote:
              > Do they just change it or think about the meaning in
              > Japanese before change? I mean, is western name has
              > the same meaning as the name in Japanese?
              > I've heard they do this with Sailor Moon in America.
              > Aw, sounds horrible! :(
              >
              > --- Andrea Kastner <andreaak23@...> wrote:
              > > NOOOOO!!!
              > > I want them to keep the real names: I would hate
              > it
              > > if
              > > they took some horrible "western" names. I think
              > it
              > > would take so much away from Conan!
              > > Please, everyone, let's not let them do that to
              > us!
              > > I know they did it in Mexico, and it sounds so
              > fake.
              > > =*o*= Grrrr
              > > (very mad Andrea)
              >

              > =====

              > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/conan
              > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group
              > communications

              =====

            • Marsha D. Siagian
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7, 1999
                (warning: non-conan related)
                Usagi Tsukino=Jane Midori

                I don't think so "Jane Midori" means something like "Moon Rabbit". Then Luna
                (the black cat) is such as such... (I don't remember it again ^__^;)

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 1999
                  > No, when they change the names, they don't think
                  > about
                  > the meaning at all. The mexican names they chose
                  > are
                  > just normal names: they don't have any meaning.
                  :(

                  > Cherie, did you know your name means sweetheart (or
                  > dear) in french?
                  Mom told me that. She knows french. You know french?

                  > Anyways, I will not let them change the names in
                  > Conan. I was reading one of the mexican sites and
                  > the
                  > "western" names really bugged me!!
                  Agreed!

                  =====

                • Andrea Kastner
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 16, 1999
                    > > Cherie, did you know your name means sweetheart
                    > (or
                    > > dear) in french?
                    > Mom told me that. She knows french. You know french?
                    Yes, I do. I live in the province of Quebec (where
                    the official language is French) in Canada (english)
                    so I speack both fluently. By the way, you have a
                    really pretty name!
                    -Andrea

                    =====