[conan] Fansubbing

  • xiao@catsrule.garfield.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 1999
      Can anybody help me? I've been reading and reading about fansubbing,
      but I just don't understand what it is. Could somebody PLEASE explain
      it to me?

      Xiao
    • Erika
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 1999
        >Can anybody help me? I've been reading and reading about fansubbing,
        >but I just don't understand what it is. Could somebody PLEASE explain
        >it to me?

        Fansubbing is when a group of anime otaku with a computer that's hooked up
        to vcr and laserdisc player subtitle anime for fellow otaku fans. Usually,
        fansubbing groups only charge for the tape, cost to fix the equipment if it
        every break and/or to buy new equipment and/or more ld's to subtitle, and
        shipping. The also ask for donations in order to buy more ld's to sub them
        off of. This is of course piracy because the groups don't pay for the right
        to subtitle and distribute them. But us otaku get the anime for cheaper.
        But if the title they're subbing gets picked up, then they can't distribute
        that particular anime anymore. The companies with the right would sue the
        butts off them. ^_^ Did I leave anything out?