Is Shinichi an Otaku?

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
      Ran and Sonoko says Shinichi is a suiri-otaku. But, given the
      definition of the word "otaku" in Japan, as provided by J Romero, ex-
      member: A guy who is obsessed with something, [...], to the extent of
      being creepy, and is asocial and socially inept.

      1. Is Shinichi an otaku?
      2. If he is not, why do Ran and Sonoko and etc say he is one?
    • sspakar
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
        "Suiri" here means "reasoning" (got the meaning from internet). In
        other words, "suiri-otaku" can also means "deductive/detective freak"
        in simple English.

        In other words, Shin'ichi is a detective freak and always trying to
        solve mystery or crime although he is still a high school student.

        "Otaku" doesn't mean anime/manga lovers only...it's just a general
        word in Japanese (I think...)

        --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Curtis" <conanchristie@...>
        wrote:

        > Ran and Sonoko says Shinichi is a suiri-otaku. But, given the
        > definition of the word "otaku" in Japan, as provided by J Romero,
        ex-
        > member: A guy who is obsessed with something, [...], to the extent
        of
        > being creepy, and is asocial and socially inept.
        >
        > 1. Is Shinichi an otaku?
        > 2. If he is not, why do Ran and Sonoko and etc say he is one?

      • Maya Graffagna
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
          its just a joke - ran and sonoko do think that shinichi is obsessed
          w/ crime-solving (and he is, tho we dont care lol). but they don't
          think he's socially inept, although he could be at the level of
          obsession he is at.
          On Apr 25, 2006, at 3:59 AM, Samuel Curtis wrote:

          > Ran and Sonoko says Shinichi is a suiri-otaku. But, given the
          > definition of the word "otaku" in Japan, as provided by J Romero, ex-
          > member: A guy who is obsessed with something, [...], to the extent of
          > being creepy, and is asocial and socially inept.
          >
          > 1. Is Shinichi an otaku?
          > 2. If he is not, why do Ran and Sonoko and etc say he is one?
          >

          > A mailing list for Detective Conan fans around the world!
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Talythia
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
            I'd say, from Ran's point of view, Shinichi *is* almost unhealthily obsessed with detective stuff. Besides rabbiting on and on about Sherlock Homes for hours of end I mean. It sounds like before his 'little accident', he ate, breathed and slept detectives and mysteries. And have we seen many people besides Ran, Professor Agasa and his parents who really seemed concerned (or would have been concerned)about Shinichi's absence? That doesn't sound like someone who was terribly social to me. Not that he isn't good at associating with people, as we've seen, it seems he just preferred to read and research mystery stuff. He isn't inept, he just doesn't care to be social.

            As far as Ran knows, Shinichi has been away from home and school and out of contact for...well, let's say a long time shall we, since the time-line in the series is kind of iffy. Shinichi may be very intelligent, but what she sees as his obsession with whatever cases are keeping him away from Beika is having a negitive impact on his education and life in general.

            Outside of Ran's point of view...well, Shinichi's obsession with mysteries *did* turn out to be unhealthy, if you think about it, considering what happened to him as a result of following two suspicious men in black...

            Besides all that, as others have said, it's joking or teasing. Ran often says it when she's annoyed with Shinichi anyway, and doesn't everyone exaggerate at least a little bit about someone they're annoyed with?

            ~Taly
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
              Otaku implies a fan with an obsession.

              It can relate to anime/manga, to sports, to
              technology, etc.

              I think Shinichi IS a detective otaku. Why? He doesn't
              remember his own birthday, he instead thinks about the
              date being significant for when Holmes and Moriarty
              tumbled over the falls together. He is a walking font
              of knowledge for all things Holmes. He lives,
              breathes, and eats mysteries...

              he is obsessed. :)

              --- sspakar <sspakar@...> wrote:

              > "Suiri" here means "reasoning" (got the meaning from
              > internet). In
              > other words, "suiri-otaku" can also means
              > "deductive/detective freak"
              > in simple English.
              >
              > In other words, Shin'ichi is a detective freak and
              > always trying to
              > solve mystery or crime although he is still a high
              > school student.
              >
              > "Otaku" doesn't mean anime/manga lovers only...it's
              > just a general
              > word in Japanese (I think...)
              >
              > --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Curtis"
              > <conanchristie@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Ran and Sonoko says Shinichi is a suiri-otaku.
              > But, given the
              > > definition of the word "otaku" in Japan, as
              > provided by J Romero,
              > ex-
              > > member: A guy who is obsessed with something,
              > [...], to the extent
              > of
              > > being creepy, and is asocial and socially inept.
              > >
              > > 1. Is Shinichi an otaku?
              > > 2. If he is not, why do Ran and Sonoko and etc say
              > he is one?

              ~Wandering Mage Chichiri

              Seika: http://www.seika.org/
              Ushicon: http://www.ushicon.com/
              Anime Garage Sale: http://www.seika.org/anime/sale/

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006

                Does anybody know what does this Japan words mean? The words is ARIGATONA CHIISANA TANTEISAN . PLEASE TELL ME.

                Do you Yahoo!?
                New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 1GB free storage!
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
                  Huiwen Kom wrote:

                  > */Does anybody know what does this Japan words mean? The words is
                  > ARIGATONA CHIISANA TANTEISAN . PLEASE TELL ME./*

                  Ep 11 FAQ. "Thanks, little detective."

                  --
                  Samuel Curtis, Shinichian and Hirokian. "shinri ha itsumo hitotsu!"

                  "Veritas and Sapienta"--"Truth and Wisdom"
                • 곽우성
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006

                    That means Thank you, little detective.

                    Im not Japanese.

                    But I know Japanese a little. Hehe.. :)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006

                      THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THE jAPAN WORDS IN jAPAN THAT FOUND IN CONAN' COMIC NUMBER 7.

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                      Yahoo! Movies - Search movie info and celeb profiles and photos.
                    • Maya Graffagna
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006
                        yep that's right.
                        On Apr 26, 2006, at 9:27 AM, 곽우성 wrote:

                        That means Thank you, little detective.

                        Im not Japanese.

                        But I know Japanese a little. Hehe.. :)

                        Does anybody know what does this Japan words mean? The words is ARIGATONA CHIISANA TANTEISAN . PLEASE TELL ME.

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                        New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 1GB free storage!

                        A mailing list for Detective Conan fans around the world!

                        Case closed detective conan

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS