Strange Magic Kaito Age Problem in Movie 10

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2006
      In Movie 10's website's character section
      (http://www.conan-movie.jp/chara.html), the intro to Hakuba said, among
      others, that he is "the original high school detective" and is "studying
      criminal science in London."

      We usually say Conan and MK happened at the same time, but if Hakuba is
      "the original," then Shinichi and Heiji are latter comers in that field.
      That makes Conan to happen at a time frame later than MK. Furthermore,
      if Hakuba is now in college, he's no longer a "high school detective", and--

      Kaito's in college?
    • Elizabeth L. Knight
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
        Hakuba mentioned last time that he was in London right? Their
        education might be a little different and the age gap too. So maybe
        college in London is still high school in Japan. I don't know, any
        British people out there to confirm?
        ~liz~

        --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Curtis <conanchristie@...>
        wrote:

        > In Movie 10's website's character section
        > (http://www.conan-movie.jp/chara.html), the intro to Hakuba said,
        among
        > others, that he is "the original high school detective" and
        is "studying
        > criminal science in London."
        >
        > We usually say Conan and MK happened at the same time, but if
        Hakuba is
        > "the original," then Shinichi and Heiji are latter comers in that
        field.
        > That makes Conan to happen at a time frame later than MK.
        Furthermore,
        > if Hakuba is now in college, he's no longer a "high school
        detective", and--

        > Kaito's in college?

      • Jennifer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
          Blah, timelines in anime that don't always have them (And even some that do)
          are always confusing XD Anyway, I don't live in London (Though, I am going
          this April...instead of Japan...for the 10th movie ;___; Cause my parents
          found out a 4 country Europe thing was 1/3 of the price <_< Um...back on
          topic now), but I know that they are KIND of a year ahead of the American
          system. Like 11th grade for us is 12th year for them. And in Japan, there's
          only 3 grades for Jr. High School and only 3 grades for High School in
          Japan, right? So it could be something like that. All I know is it's veeeery
          confusing >__> But it would just mean Hakuba reached highschool before
          Shinichi and Heiji, afterall, it just says "High School Detective", cause
          from what we have seen from the series, they've been detectives since they
          were young.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
            Jennifer wrote:

            >Um...back on
            >topic now), but I know that they are KIND of a year ahead of the American
            >system. Like 11th grade for us is 12th year for them.

            I want to clarify: the UK have 7 years of high school and 3 years of
            university; so they go to college one year later. Hence, in my
            university (in Hong Kong, which uses the English system), people who use
            the other kind of system (4-year college system) needed to take a "Year
            0" program; and, as I know, in the UK there are special prepartory
            schools for such students.

            I also have to note that give a note that the British system have two
            national exams, one at Grade 11 and the other in Grade 13.

            >they've been detectives since they were young.

            They didn't so it as a profrssion till they're 15 or 16, though.
          • Talythia
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30, 2006
              Actually, *most* of the British school system (since Scotland has a different system, which makes things really annoying trying to go to an English university, I can tell you!) consists of six years in primary school (Years 1-6) starting from the age of 4 or 5, then 7 years in secondary school. The first three of those are spent doing general subjects. The next two are spent doing GCSE courses. At this point some choose to leave school. The last 2 years are spent doing A-Levels, often in 6th Form Collages. Once the A-Levels are done and the results are in, there is the option of going to collage or university. University courses south of the border are 3 years long - north of the border, up in Scotland, many are 4 years long.

              I personally left school when I was 17, and started university a little over a month before I was 18.