RE: [conan] An alarming note hinting that Case Closed would be a bit kiddified

  • Kudo Shiniki
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 30, 2005
      =x=|| Sorry if I'm rude here, but I really don't appreciate US and other EU
      countries adapting Anime... to me, they ruin almost every anime they
      translated into English... not only does the voices lose their original
      tone (all voice actors sound the same!! and they speak as if they're all
      old men!), the anime they choose to have on air suddenly become "for kids"!

      Although I admit Conan is not for "adults", but this anime/manga isn't for
      kids either. "Kids" as in children under 10... shouldn't be described as
      "superhero powers" or "parent approved".... :sigh: =x= can't bear to see
      Conan turning into a kiddie show... :sigh:

      >From: "Samuel Curtis" <conanchristie@...>
      >To: conan@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [conan] An alarming note hinting that Case Closed would be a bit
      kiddified
      >Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:14:17 -0000
      >

      >Amazon has listed the Case Closed 2006 Calander.
      >(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
      >/0789312549/qid=1112158733/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl14/002-2222903-
      >7608816?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
      >
      >The hype said,
      >
      >"Now on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block, Case Closed; is a hit
      >anime program about a famous teenage detective who is poisoned by a
      >mysterious crime organization and becomes trapped in the body of a
      >seven-year-old boy. Adopting the name Conan Edogawa, this unstoppable
      >sleuth armed with special gadgets that give him superhuman abilities
      >continues solving seemingly impossible cases while pursuing his
      >assailants and the antidote that will return him back to normal size.
      >This calendar features a classic "whodunnit" in the style of the hit
      >show "CSI." Targeted for kids ages 9-14 and even older, Case Closed
      >is parent-approved: Detective Conan is good-hearted, smart, in the
      >company of great characters, and the subject of clever storylines,
      >and imparts such life lessons as "never settle for anything less than
      >the truth.""
      >
      >I found this hype, peppered with words like "superhuman abilities"
      >and "parent-approved," seemed to mean that the anime is going to
      >focus to a younger popualtion that the Adult Swim viewers. I persume
      >that CC would probable enu up in Toonami.

    • ris im
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 6, 2005
        hear hear!!!

        =P yeah.. hate those adaptations too... i mean, not only do they ruin the voices, they also mess up the names(some of them) and what's worse, they had the nerve to change the storyline as well!!! i mean, is that even legal??!!!?

        nah, just ranting.

        Kudo Shiniki <kaitokido@...> wrote:

        =x=|| Sorry if I'm rude here, but I really don't appreciate US and other EU
        countries adapting Anime... to me, they ruin almost every anime they
        translated into English... not only does the voices lose their original
        tone (all voice actors sound the same!! and they speak as if they're all
        old men!), the anime they choose to have on air suddenly become "for kids"!

        Although I admit Conan is not for "adults", but this anime/manga isn't for
        kids either. "Kids" as in children under 10... shouldn't be described as
        "superhero powers" or "parent approved".... :sigh: =x= can't bear to see
        Conan turning into a kiddie show... :sigh:

        >From: "Samuel Curtis" <conanchristie@...>
        >To: conan@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [conan] An alarming note hinting that Case Closed would be a bit
        kiddified
        >Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:14:17 -0000
        >

        >Amazon has listed the Case Closed 2006 Calander.
        >(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
        >/0789312549/qid=1112158733/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl14/002-2222903-
        >7608816?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
        >
        >The hype said,
        >
        >"Now on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block, Case Closed; is a hit
        >anime program about a famous teenage detective who is poisoned by a
        >mysterious crime organization and becomes trapped in the body of a
        >seven-year-old boy. Adopting the name Conan Edogawa, this unstoppable
        >sleuth armed with special gadgets that give him superhuman abilities
        >continues solving seemingly impossible cases while pursuing his
        >assailants and the antidote that will return him back to normal size.
        >This calendar features a classic "whodunnit" in the style of the hit
        >show "CSI." Targeted for kids ages 9-14 and even older, Case Closed
        >is parent-approved: Detective Conan is good-hearted, smart, in the
        >company of great characters, and the subject of clever storylines,
        >and imparts such life lessons as "never settle for anything less than
        >the truth.""
        >
        >I found this hype, peppered with words like "superhuman abilities"
        >and "parent-approved," seemed to mean that the anime is going to
        >focus to a younger popualtion that the Adult Swim viewers. I persume
        >that CC would probable enu up in Toonami.

        Yahoo! Messenger

      • KID
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 6, 2005
          Somehow I was more upset with Gin's and Vodka's name being changed
          more than anything else. Their's actually had a theme to it that ties
          directly into the story line. Well so does Shinichi's (Jimmy's) and
          Kogoro's (Richard's) for a certain movie, but it seems that Gin's and
          Vodka's were more evident later in the story.

          On Apr 6, 2005 1:29 PM, ris im <linmeiyue@...> wrote:

          > hear hear!!!
          >
          > =P yeah.. hate those adaptations too... i mean, not only do they ruin the
          > voices, they also mess up the names(some of them) and what's worse, they had
          > the nerve to change the storyline as well!!! i mean, is that even
          > legal??!!!?
          >
          > nah, just ranting.
          >

          > Kudo Shiniki <kaitokido@...> wrote:
          >
          > =x=|| Sorry if I'm rude here, but I really don't appreciate US and other EU
          > countries adapting Anime... to me, they ruin almost every anime they
          > translated into English... not only does the voices lose their original
          > tone (all voice actors sound the same!! and they speak as if they're all
          > old men!), the anime they choose to have on air suddenly become "for kids"!
          >
          > Although I admit Conan is not for "adults", but this anime/manga isn't for
          > kids either. "Kids" as in children under 10... shouldn't be described as
          > "superhero powers" or "parent approved".... :sigh: =x= can't bear to see
          > Conan turning into a kiddie show... :sigh:
          >

          > >From: "Samuel Curtis" <conanchristie@...>
          > >To: conan@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [conan] An alarming note hinting that Case Closed would be a bit
          > kiddified
          > >Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:14:17 -0000
          > >

          > >Amazon has listed the Case Closed 2006 Calander.
          > >(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
          > >/0789312549/qid=1112158733/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl14/002-2222903-
          > >7608816?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
          > >
          > >The hype said,
          > >
          > >"Now on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block, Case Closed; is a hit
          > >anime program about a famous teenage detective who is poisoned by a
          > >mysterious crime organization and becomes trapped in the body of a
          > >seven-year-old boy. Adopting the name Conan Edogawa, this unstoppable
          > >sleuth armed with special gadgets that give him superhuman abilities
          > >continues solving seemingly impossible cases while pursuing his
          > >assailants and the antidote that will return him back to normal size.
          > >This calendar features a classic "whodunnit" in the style of the hit
          > >show "CSI." Targeted for kids ages 9-14 and even older, Case Closed
          > >is parent-approved: Detective Conan is good-hearted, smart, in the
          > >company of great characters, and the subject of clever storylines,
          > >and imparts such life lessons as "never settle for anything less than
          > >the truth.""
          > >
          > >I found this hype, peppered with words like "superhuman abilities"
          > >and "parent-approved," seemed to mean that the anime is going to
          > >focus to a younger popualtion that the Adult Swim viewers. I persume
          > >that CC would probable enu up in Toonami.

          > ________________________________
          > Yahoo! Messenger

        • v1cky84
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 6, 2005
            not only do US adapt Anime, but the also remake those famous korean,
            hongkong and japanese movies...don't know if you guys have heard of
            it but US keep buying the copyrights for asian movies at such a
            cheap amount of $$ and remake them...why can't they just show the
            original movies or animes without dubbing it or changing the names
            or remaking it????don't understand what's so hard about reading
            subtitles???pissing me off a lot of times...
            what do you guys think?

            Service.

          • jnisham
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 6, 2005

              --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, "v1cky84" <p1k14@h...> wrote:

> [...]
              > would be a bit
              > > > kiddified

              > 2222903-

              > hit
              > by a
              > of a
              > unstoppable
              > abilities
              > size.
              > the hit
              > Closed
              > the
              > storylines,
              > less than

              > abilities"
              > persume
              > > > >

              > > > ConanManiaDotCom - A Place for Conan Fans
              > > > http://www.conanmania.com
              > > >

              > > > ________________________________
              > > > Yahoo! Messenger
              > > > Show us what our next emoticon should look like. Join the fun.
              > > >
              > > > ConanManiaDotCom - A Place for Conan Fans

            • cecil
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                what?? they changed Gin and Vodka names??? into what..
                sorry, but i really have no connection at all to case
                closed series.
                i mean, why do they have to change their names?
                their names were like the best names (code names)
                ever.
                i love the way Gin sounds, and it really matches his
                image and his 'cold'ness..
                i can even feel myself shivering when i heard that
                name plus his cold blooded image.. hahaha the
                thrills..
                gin is so coooooooooool.. i love his character!!!
                banzaaaii *\^0^/*

                ups.. sorry got carried out.. *^o^*
                tee hee..

                http://personals.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                  Hw was misled. No change for Gin and Vodka.

                  --
                  Samuel Curtis, Shinichian and Hirokian. "shinri ha itsumo hitotsu!"

                  "Veritas and Sapienta"--"Truth and Wisdom"
                • cecil
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                    yeah.. i really agree with u..
                    not that i m okay with reading subtitles all the time
                    sometimes i got tired reading them too, and missing
                    whats on the screen caues u have to concentrate
                    reading
                    but preserving the original animes esp the voices
                    would be really appreciated..
                    i dont know about u guys but if i watch a dubbed
                    version and an original version, i can really feel the
                    difference..
                    that dubbing company needs to do a lot better..
                    i always feel like i m hearing the same voices in any
                    anime i watch..
                    they really changed the voice and of course the image
                    of the characters.. for eg. dragon ball's son goku or
                    CCS's sakura..
                    to me sakura sounds like an over 20 years old gal..

                    well.. maybe its just me..

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                      really? cool then..
                      thanks for the info!

                      --- Samuel Curtis <conanchristie@...> wrote:

                      > Hw was misled. No change for Gin and Vodka.

                      http://personals.yahoo.com
                    • Hikaru
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                        I don't understand, why Gin and Vodka's names are changed???????????
                        those names are supposed to be alcoholic or something aren't they?
                        besides Gin and vodka are ENGLISH, for anybody's sake.

                        actually, i really don't like it since they first changed the names of the
                        characters but i see that those names aren't english and maybe it's
                        difficult to remember or pronounce the name.

                        And I don't know why Case Closed has to be kiddified, there's some
                        corpse in it all right but it's not that violent that it must be kiddified.

                        Sorry if i'm doing something wrong, it's just my opinion. I can't do
                        anything about it anyway

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                          Hikaru wrote:

                          >I don't understand, why Gin and Vodka's names are changed???????????
                          >those names are supposed to be alcoholic or something aren't they?
                          >besides Gin and vodka are ENGLISH, for anybody's sake.

                          Have you read my last post? Their names were not changed.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                            Actually I beg to differ. According to my manga, Volume 4, File 4 of
                            Case Closed, Gin and Vodka were known as Kasper and Melkior.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                              KID wrote:

                              >Actually I beg to differ. According to my manga, Volume 4, File 4 of
                              >Case Closed, Gin and Vodka were known as Kasper and Melkior.

                              There was no change in the anime. But I'd report your discovery.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                                no offense to anybody...but i never really minded reading
                                subtitles...just like what cecil said, the originality is preserved
                                and voices do make a difference...dubbing and remaking movies or
                                anime is usually not as good as the originals...
                                for your info., i don't understand japanese so i have always had to
                                read subtitles...
                                it might be unfair for those who are blind, but they don't have
                                alter the original anime...or even changing the names???
                                just because americans can't pronounce the name correctly???
                                no offense...i'm living in US right now although i don't really
                                agree with what the entertainment industry is doing to asian movies
                                and animes right now.
                                sorry everyone if i'm rude...but i have a really strong opinion
                                about this kind of stuff...every person is entitled to their own
                                opinion

                                v1cky84

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                                  I haven't had the pleasure of watching the English dub (that whole
                                  Case-Closed-isn't-available-to-Canadians thing. Don't get me
                                  started.) so I could only go on what I had, which was the English
                                  manga. This brings me to a weirder point: why would they change the
                                  name in the manga and not in the dub? Shouldn't it be the other way
                                  around? This whole name-changing thing keeps getting weirder and
                                  weirder by the minute.

                                  I've also found that they've changed the name of their high school to
                                  Titan High School. Can anyone else find other name changes that play
                                  a significant part of Conan's deductions later in the story?

                                  That high school reference becomes critical for Volume 39, File 11.

                                  On Apr 7, 2005 12:14 PM, Samuel Curtis <conanchristie@...> wrote:

                                  > KID wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >Actually I beg to differ. According to my manga, Volume 4, File 4 of
                                  > >Case Closed, Gin and Vodka were known as Kasper and Melkior.
                                  > >

                                  > There was no change in the anime. But I'd report your discovery.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Samuel Curtis, Shinichian and Hirokian. "shinri ha itsumo hitotsu!"
                                  >
                                  > "Veritas and Sapienta"--"Truth and Wisdom"

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • W.M. Chichiri
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 7, 2005
                                    --- Samuel Curtis <conanchristie@...> wrote:
                                    > Hw was misled. No change for Gin and Vodka.

                                    Actually I had heard that their names were changed in
                                    VIz's manga. I can say however that in the anime that
                                    Gin & Vodka kept their names. But I'm not sure since I
                                    haven't been collecting the manga so far, I'm trying
                                    to finish up some other series first.

                                    But in the States there is strict censorship when it
                                    comes to kids and alcohol. Even in advertisement
                                    cannot be within so many feet of a school, that
                                    "cartoon" characters/mascots can't be used by
                                    companies as part of their ad campaign...

                                    I'm not sure specifically how it affects things, but
                                    there would be enough parents if not the government
                                    throwing a snit if they had alcohol referenced names
                                    in a "kids show." Animation in the U.S. still has that
                                    concept "oh it's for kids" and only a few series are
                                    beginning to break away from this narrow-minded
                                    notion. It's going to take a while to filter down.

                                    I always thought when I first heard the series had
                                    been picked up that if the names of Gin & Vodka had to
                                    be changed that something like Jack & Daniel would
                                    work. At least it's a normal innocous name... BUT
                                    there's still the alcoholic reference :P

                                    But name changes aren't as simple as we think
                                    sometimes, it often times does with legal reasons
                                    (copyright, censorship laws and regulations, etc), and
                                    what the parent companies wants. Sometiems you ahve
                                    Japanese companies dictating to the companies over
                                    here *WHAT* they want the name to be. Several industry
                                    reps have mentioned this trough the years at various
                                    panels at anime conventions.

                                    ~Wandering Mage Chichiri

                                    Seika: http://www.seika.org/
                                    Ushicon: http://www.ushicon.com/
                                    Anime Garage Sale: http://www.seika.org/anime/sale/

                                  • Juwairiyah Nabilah
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 8, 2005
                                      i just dont know.
                                      i guess its the writer fault
                                      well u r right about it.

                                      Block pop-up ads with MSN Toolbar. http://toolbar.msn.com.my/
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 8, 2005
                                        W.M. Chichiri wrote:

                                        >Sometiems you have Japanese companies dictating to the companies over
                                        >here *WHAT* they want the name to be. Several industry
                                        >reps have mentioned this trough the years at various
                                        >panels at anime conventions.
                                        >

                                        >~Wandering Mage Chichiri

                                        This is the case of CC, as what has been reported so far.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 8, 2005
                                          > >Sometiems you have Japanese companies dictating to
                                          > the companies over
                                          > >here *WHAT* they want the name to be. Several
                                          > industry
                                          > >reps have mentioned this trough the years at
                                          > various
                                          > >panels at anime conventions.

                                          > This is the case of CC, as what has been reported so
                                          > far.

                                          *nods* Especially for the series' name. FUNi reps at
                                          last year's AnimeFest in Dallas, TX spoke about the
                                          reasonw hy Detective Conan became Case Closed.
                                          Unfortunately the name "Conan" could not be used in
                                          the title due to pre-existing copyright on it's usage
                                          in the U.S. territory (specifically from the Conan the
                                          Barbarian movie). The reps at the con spoke of how the
                                          name "Case Closed" is what the Japanese companies
                                          wanted the name to be over here since the original
                                          name could not be used.

                                          ~Wandering Mage Chichiri

                                          Seika: http://www.seika.org/
                                          Ushicon: http://www.ushicon.com/
                                          Anime Garage Sale: http://www.seika.org/anime/sale/

                                          __________________________________
                                          Yahoo! Messenger
                                        • ris im
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 17, 2005
                                            actually, i dont really find it hard reading subtitles so its no problem for me... (maybe im just used to it though...) but anyway, id rather listen to the original voices (and names and storyline) than have the ease of listening to the dubbed version. i mean, so many facts are changed! and i really put a lot of importance in knowing the original version.
                                            about being unfair to blind people... um... yeah, i guess it is unfair but... do you know blind people who watch tv? more so, anime? not that im telling them not to watch it... its just for curiosity's sake=P

                                            but still, im in for the subtitles:P

                                            v1cky84 <p1k14@...> wrote:

                                            no offense to anybody...but i never really minded reading
                                            subtitles...just like what cecil said, the originality is preserved
                                            and voices do make a difference...dubbing and remaking movies or
                                            anime is usually not as good as the originals...
                                            for your info., i don't understand japanese so i have always had to
                                            read subtitles...
                                            it might be unfair for those who are blind, but they don't have
                                            alter the original anime...or even changing the names???
                                            just because americans can't pronounce the name correctly???
                                            no offense...i'm living in US right now although i don't really
                                            agree with what the entertainment industry is doing to asian movies
                                            and animes right now.
                                            sorry everyone if i'm rude...but i have a really strong opinion
                                            about this kind of stuff...every person is entitled to their own
                                            opinion

                                            v1cky84
                                            --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, "jnisham" <jnisham@y...> wrote:

                                            > ---In conan@yahoogroups.com, "jnisham" wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > >ya it's true that anime may be kiddified and this may be extream
                                            but
                                            > >what about blind people that don't speak the original language.
                                            It
                                            > >may just be me but I get sick of reading subtitles.

                                            Yahoo! Mail Mobile

                                          • Jared Isham
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 18, 2005
                                              actually i do know a blind person personaly that does watch tv includiing anime. but besides that i find it increasenly hard to find origial anime so if anyone can help it would be greatly appritiated

                                              v1cky84 <p1k14@...> wrote:

                                              no offense to anybody...but i never really minded reading
                                              subtitles...just like what cecil said, the originality is preserved
                                              and voices do make a difference...dubbing and remaking movies or
                                              anime is usually not as good as the originals...
                                              for your info., i don't understand japanese so i have always had to
                                              read subtitles...
                                              it might be unfair for those who are blind, but they don't have
                                              alter the original anime...or even changing the names???
                                              just because americans can't pronounce the name correctly???
                                              no offense...i'm living in US right now although i don't really
                                              agree with what the entertainment industry is doing to asian movies
                                              and animes right now.
                                              sorry everyone if i'm rude...but i have a really strong opinion
                                              about this kind of stuff...every person is entitled to their own
                                              opinion

                                              v1cky84
                                              --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, "jnisham" <jnisham@y...> wrote:

                                              > ---In conan@yahoogroups.com, "jnisham" wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > >ya it's true that anime may be kiddified and this may be extream
                                              but
                                              > >what about blind people that don't speak the original language.
                                              It
                                              > >may just be me but I get sick of reading subtitles.

                                              Yahoo! Mail Mobile

                                            • Melissa Candrasaputra
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 21, 2005
                                                I think they can make it bilingual using bilingual system that is used by many films/ tv programs. We can choose to listen to the original language or to the dubbed version. I think that's the best and fairest way for all...

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 21, 2005
                                                  --- Melissa Candrasaputra
                                                  <melissa_candrasaputra@...> wrote:
                                                  > I think they can make it bilingual using bilingual
                                                  > system that is used by many films/ tv programs. We
                                                  > can choose to listen to the original language or to
                                                  > the dubbed version. I think that's the best and
                                                  > fairest way for all...

                                                  All of the FUNimation Case Closed DVD's are available
                                                  in dual language. Meaning you can choose to either
                                                  listen to the original Japanese dialogue, the English
                                                  dub, and to watch (or not watch) subtitles with it.

                                                  And they usually do have two separate subtitle tracks.
                                                  One is for the English dub script, the other is for
                                                  the most direct translation from the Japanese
                                                  dialogue.

                                                  And returning to the original concern of this
                                                  thread... I don't believe that FUNimation writes copy
                                                  for all of the individual companies who make
                                                  merchandise for the company. So that copy may very
                                                  well have been written by another company.

                                                  ~Wandering Mage Chichiri

                                                  Seika: http://www.seika.org/
                                                  Ushicon: http://www.ushicon.com/
                                                  Anime Garage Sale: http://www.seika.org/anime/sale/

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                • ris im
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 24, 2005
                                                    oh yeah! why didn't i think of that! watched one once, the one with different dubbed languages with the english subtitles below. we tried watching the english dubbing and it was kinda confusing since the subtitles and the dubbed were so different from each other...(well, in some parts only i guess) hehe.

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 24, 2005
                                                      well, i guess, it would depend where you are. (as in, what country, coz in my place, its very easy to find original anime.)