Re: Case Closed?!

  • Elizabeth L. Knight
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2004
      I totally agree with the fact that changing the names was dumb.
      Stupidly idiotic. And worst, on Adult Swim? Since when is DC for 18
      above? I bet American people has a hard time making a difference of
      the proper show and non-proper show! Craps! Americans, no hard
      feelings ok? Just a thought.
      ~Elizabeth~

      --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, Erika Narimatsu <sasami20@e...> wrote:
      > At least for the DVD release, they're going to have the original
      > Japanese names with the subtitles. Otherwise I would have joined in
      on
      > the massacre!
      >
      > Read the FAQ on the official website: http://www.caseclosed.com
      >
      > -Erika
      >
      > On Mar 30, 2004, at 5:43 PM, StarTwinRini@c... wrote:
      >
      > > Okay, I just had to vent this somewhere. I'm sure alot of you
      have
      > > heard about Detective Conan being aired in June on Adult Swim
      (Cartoon
      > > Network) as Case Closed. I heard about this when I was looking
      through
      > > my Animerica magazine and it had a little article on it. Anyway,
      at
      > > first I was pretty happy and let the whole name changing thing
      slide
      > > (Even though it was a little annoying). Then this month, I get a
      new
      > > Animerica and it has a whole 2 page article on Detective
      Conan/Case
      > > Closed! I was so happy that Detective Conan was finally getting
      some
      > > recognition in America. But then I started reading further into
      the
      > > article, and the more I read the more pissed off I got at how
      many
      > > things they changed. First of all (this is the main thing that
      made me
      > > mad) they changed Shinichi's name!! And to what? Jimmy! JIMMY!!!
      It's
      > > just awful! Then I found out that they changed Ran Mouri to
      Rachel
      > > Moore, Kogorou to Roger and Megure to McGuire!! And those were
      only
      > > the names they listed in the article! Who knows how many names
      they've
      > > actually changed. It says that they did it so that the show would
      > > "appeal to American audiences". Can you believe that? I know it's
      hard
      > > for some little kids to understand foreign names and maybe think
      > > they're a little weird, but this is going to be on Adult Swim!
      Adult
      > > Swim, people!!! It's on at midnight and there's a warning that
      says
      > > it's only for people 18 years and up! I'm pretty sure that any
      decent
      > > 18 year old can appreciate the original names BECAUSE they're
      original
      > > - not some name that's made up by FUNimation because they don't
      think
      > > that the audience can "handle" the real ones. I think it's just
      > > disgusting that they would even say something like that. Jimmy
      > > Kudo...it doesn't even make sense since they're obviously living
      in
      > > JAPAN! Well, I guess it's just another failed dubbing project
      done by
      > > FUNimation. Just wish it wasn't my favorite anime they were
      ruining.
      > > -_-
      > >

      > > ConanManiaDotCom - A Place for Conan Fans
      > > http://www.conanmania.com
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Erika Narimatsu
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2004
        I understand the reasoning behind making DC a part of Adult Swim. If
        they were to show it during their normal children's cartoon hours, they
        would have had to heavily edited the show. FCC regulations prohibit
        showing blood (among other things such as slaps to the face, etc) so
        I'm assuming this is why FOX dropped the rights to the show a few years
        back. But c'mon, Adult Swim viewers have got to be more intelligent
        than to cry over Japanese names. I would have thought most people would
        be able to handle it, but I guess not since the names are being
        changed. *grumbles*

        -Erika

        On Apr 4, 2004, at 12:05 AM, Elizabeth L. Knight wrote:

        > I totally agree with the fact that changing the names was dumb.
        > Stupidly idiotic. And worst, on Adult Swim? Since when is DC for 18
        > above? I bet American people has a hard time making a difference of
        > the proper show and non-proper show! Craps! Americans, no hard
        > feelings ok? Just a thought.
        > ~Elizabeth~
        >
        > --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, Erika Narimatsu <sasami20@e...> wrote:
        >> At least for the DVD release, they're going to have the original
        >> Japanese names with the subtitles. Otherwise I would have joined in
        > on
        >> the massacre!
        >>
        >> Read the FAQ on the official website: http://www.caseclosed.com
        >>
        >> -Erika

      • J. Chou
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2004

          We American children are some of the craziest ones out there... and they think censoring blood from TV shows will change that?

          >From: Erika Narimatsu <sasami20@...>
          >To: conan@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [conan] Re: Case Closed?!
          >Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:50:05 -0700
          >
          >I understand the reasoning behind making DC a part of Adult Swim. If
          >they were to show it during their normal children's cartoon hours, they
          >would have had to heavily edited the show. FCC regulations prohibit
          >showing blood (among other things such as slaps to the face, etc) so
          >I'm assuming this is why FOX dropped the rights to the show a few years
          >back. But c'mon, Adult Swim viewers have got to be more intelligent
          >than to cry over Japanese names. I would have thought most people would
          >be able to handle it, but I guess not since the names are being
          >changed. *grumbles*
          >
          >-Erika

        • Erika Narimatsu
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2004
            Well, the ironic thing is, even if the FCC bans blood and gore from
            children's programming, there are a billion other ways for kids to see
            this stuff. There were countless times where I've seen minors in rated
            R movies and I'm sure there are plenty more parents letting their
            children watch shows with violence as a part of the theme. One way or
            another, kids will see what the FCC is trying to prevent them from
            seeing.

            -Erika