Re: [conan] Case Closed?!

  • Erika Narimatsu
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
      At least for the DVD release, they're going to have the original
      Japanese names with the subtitles. Otherwise I would have joined in on
      the massacre!

      Read the FAQ on the official website: http://www.caseclosed.com

      -Erika

      On Mar 30, 2004, at 5:43 PM, StarTwinRini@... wrote:

      > Okay, I just had to vent this somewhere. I'm sure alot of you have
      > heard about Detective Conan being aired in June on Adult Swim (Cartoon
      > Network) as Case Closed. I heard about this when I was looking through
      > my Animerica magazine and it had a little article on it. Anyway, at
      > first I was pretty happy and let the whole name changing thing slide
      > (Even though it was a little annoying). Then this month, I get a new
      > Animerica and it has a whole 2 page article on Detective Conan/Case
      > Closed! I was so happy that Detective Conan was finally getting some
      > recognition in America. But then I started reading further into the
      > article, and the more I read the more pissed off I got at how many
      > things they changed. First of all (this is the main thing that made me
      > mad) they changed Shinichi's name!! And to what? Jimmy! JIMMY!!! It's
      > just awful! Then I found out that they changed Ran Mouri to Rachel
      > Moore, Kogorou to Roger and Megure to McGuire!! And those were only
      > the names they listed in the article! Who knows how many names they've
      > actually changed. It says that they did it so that the show would
      > "appeal to American audiences". Can you believe that? I know it's hard
      > for some little kids to understand foreign names and maybe think
      > they're a little weird, but this is going to be on Adult Swim! Adult
      > Swim, people!!! It's on at midnight and there's a warning that says
      > it's only for people 18 years and up! I'm pretty sure that any decent
      > 18 year old can appreciate the original names BECAUSE they're original
      > - not some name that's made up by FUNimation because they don't think
      > that the audience can "handle" the real ones. I think it's just
      > disgusting that they would even say something like that. Jimmy
      > Kudo...it doesn't even make sense since they're obviously living in
      > JAPAN! Well, I guess it's just another failed dubbing project done by
      > FUNimation. Just wish it wasn't my favorite anime they were ruining.
      > -_-

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Elizabeth L. Knight
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2004
        I totally agree with the fact that changing the names was dumb.
        Stupidly idiotic. And worst, on Adult Swim? Since when is DC for 18
        above? I bet American people has a hard time making a difference of
        the proper show and non-proper show! Craps! Americans, no hard
        feelings ok? Just a thought.
        ~Elizabeth~

      • Erika Narimatsu
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2004
          I understand the reasoning behind making DC a part of Adult Swim. If
          they were to show it during their normal children's cartoon hours, they
          would have had to heavily edited the show. FCC regulations prohibit
          showing blood (among other things such as slaps to the face, etc) so
          I'm assuming this is why FOX dropped the rights to the show a few years
          back. But c'mon, Adult Swim viewers have got to be more intelligent
          than to cry over Japanese names. I would have thought most people would
          be able to handle it, but I guess not since the names are being
          changed. *grumbles*

          -Erika

          On Apr 4, 2004, at 12:05 AM, Elizabeth L. Knight wrote:

          > I totally agree with the fact that changing the names was dumb.
          > Stupidly idiotic. And worst, on Adult Swim? Since when is DC for 18
          > above? I bet American people has a hard time making a difference of
          > the proper show and non-proper show! Craps! Americans, no hard
          > feelings ok? Just a thought.
          > ~Elizabeth~
          >
          > --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, Erika Narimatsu <sasami20@e...> wrote:
          >> At least for the DVD release, they're going to have the original
          >> Japanese names with the subtitles. Otherwise I would have joined in
          > on
          >> the massacre!
          >>
          >> Read the FAQ on the official website: http://www.caseclosed.com
          >>
          >> -Erika

        • J. Chou
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2004

            We American children are some of the craziest ones out there... and they think censoring blood from TV shows will change that?

            >From: Erika Narimatsu <sasami20@...>
            >To: conan@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [conan] Re: Case Closed?!
            >Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:50:05 -0700
            >
            >I understand the reasoning behind making DC a part of Adult Swim. If
            >they were to show it during their normal children's cartoon hours, they
            >would have had to heavily edited the show. FCC regulations prohibit
            >showing blood (among other things such as slaps to the face, etc) so
            >I'm assuming this is why FOX dropped the rights to the show a few years
            >back. But c'mon, Adult Swim viewers have got to be more intelligent
            >than to cry over Japanese names. I would have thought most people would
            >be able to handle it, but I guess not since the names are being
            >changed. *grumbles*
            >
            >-Erika

          • Erika Narimatsu
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2004
              Well, the ironic thing is, even if the FCC bans blood and gore from
              children's programming, there are a billion other ways for kids to see
              this stuff. There were countless times where I've seen minors in rated
              R movies and I'm sure there are plenty more parents letting their
              children watch shows with violence as a part of the theme. One way or
              another, kids will see what the FCC is trying to prevent them from
              seeing.

              -Erika