My Essay "On Shinichi"

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2003
      Has been posted on Orla's, at
      http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/orla/onshinichi.html/

      For comments and questions, you can reply to this thread.

      Advertised as "Advertisment Time" in 26 April, since there weren;t any
      replies, so I'm obliged to repost.
      --
      Samuel Curtis, Shinichian and Hirokian. Although I must assert
      Shinichian superiority.

    • Hibbah
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2003
        First, I just like to say the essay is really good. Very in depth. Good work! ^^

        I just have one tiny thing to say.

        [QUOTE]
        In File 2 of Volume 1, Ran mentioned Shinichi "has always been full of mischief", and, accordingly, in Volume 11 Shinichi-Conan recalled when he (Shinichi) was six, he always played with Ran so as get dirt all over their clothes and scolded by Eri -- the Mouris were yet to be divorced. A far cry from the solitary, desocialized mystery-reading geek and seemingly a more well-balanced individual, isn't it?
        [QUOTE]

        I haven't read/seen this personally, but heard about it several times. It is mentioned that Shinichi, as a kid, used to play by himself, assuming the part of detective and thief at the same time. That would make it seem as if Shinichi was already a mystery geek, as well as a loner. He was also reading a lot of Sherlock Holmes (?) and his father's mystery novels. The latter however can be put down to the fact that Yusaku wrote them, not b/c Shinichi loved mysteries. It seems to me as if Shinichi has never been a very social person, not even in elementary school.

        Oh well, just my 2 cents...

        Hibbah

        For comments and questions, you can reply to this thread.

        Advertised as "Advertisment Time" in 26 April, since there weren;t any
        replies, so I'm obliged to repost.
        --
        Samuel Curtis, Shinichian and Hirokian. Although I must assert
        Shinichian superiority.

        Caritas Optimus Veritas
          Love   Ideal   Truth

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2003
          Hibbah wrote:

          > I haven't read/seen this personally, but heard about it several
          > times. It is mentioned that Shinichi, as a kid, used to play by
          > himself, assuming the part of detective and thief at the same time.

          This is a quote of Episode 59, an original TV episode (The First-time
          Shopping Case). I remembered I included this quote in my essay.

          > That would make it seem as if Shinichi was already a mystery geek, as
          > well as a loner. He was also reading a lot of Sherlock Holmes (?) and
          > his father's mystery novels. The latter however can be put down to
          > the fact that Yusaku wrote them, not b/c Shinichi loved mysteries. It
          > seems to me as if Shinichi has never been a very social person, not
          > even in elementary school.

          In my opinion this is just imitation, though it's the start of the
          transition of him from a more or less normal (albeit cleverer most, of
          course) kid to our desocialized mystery geek. I need a thread to link
          all
          the quotes, since my philosophy is actually, "In Conan, not a singal
          quote
          is a plot device."

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 25, 2003
            Samuel Curtis wrote:
            This is a quote of Episode 59, an original TV episode (The First-time
            Shopping Case). I remembered I included this quote in my essay.

            You did, sorry. I must have either overlooked that line or misunderstood somehow. :)

            In my opinion this is just imitation, though it's the start of the
            transition of him from a more or less normal (albeit cleverer most, of
            course) kid to our desocialized mystery geek. I need a thread to link
            all
            the quotes, since my philosophy is actually, "In Conan, not a singal
            quote
            is a plot device."

            I am at a bit of a disadvantage here b/c I can't give quotes or even the number of the episodes... However, somewhere in the 6th part, in the episode to do with Yusaku's missing book, he seemed very happy to be reading mystery novels when he was young. It was definitely Yusaku who started that though. It could have been imitation, or Shinichi could have been reading mysteries simply b/c he liked the challange of trying to see whether he could solve the case before the detective in the book did. Sherlock Holmes quickly became his idol, and that estranged him even more. In the first episode he says that he wants to be the Sherlock Holmes of that age. So if it is assumed that Shinichi has been reading Holmes since he was young, his perspective of certain things would have started to change already, like his view on football. So while his playing football might have started out as a game, it quickly turned more serious. B/c Holmes played sports to develop himself for his detective work. So Shinichi had to do that too.

            Even if he didn't exactly deicde to try and become like Holmes when he was young, he probably would still have these same ideas. His subconcious mind would have him follow his idol in everything.

            That brings something else to mind. I completely agree that Shinichi wasn't a geek at first. He can't have been so proud either. The pride could have come about through the influence of Holmes. Also a very proud detective, vain, superior to others. Shinichi starts to feel the same about himself. He is obviously totally obsessed with Sherlock Holmes, and not necessarily in a good way.

            I'm afraid of losing focus here so I'm gonna stop... ^^;;

            Hibbah