Reality Check: The Detective Boys and Dr.Agasa

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
      (For convenience, we've to let the kids being 8 instead of 6-- the way
      I've been using when reading or watching Conan.)

      Agasa should be totally unknown to the DBs before Conan entered Teitan
      Elementary, and they knew him since he's Conan's guardian, de jure, and
      later Ai's.

      However, when we progress down the series, we can safely assume that
      even the parents of DBs has so much trust on Agasa -- a person not quite
      previously known to the parents-- that the DBs are allowed to have
      sleepovers, even camping, at his.

      I don't know how he can do that. If it's Ran, it's more possible, IMO...

      --
      Samuel Curtis, Shinichian "shinri ha itsumo hitotsu!"

      I send the scourge
      I send the sword
      Thus saith -- (you fill that in)
      (The Plagues from Prince of Egypt, and my warning word to all
      bootleggers)

    • Marcy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003
        Mhm... I think the point is that we don´t really know how much time passes
        between the moment Conan meets the Detective Boys and the time they go for
        example camping with Dr.Agasa, and what exactly happens in that time. It is
        possible, that the parents of the Detective Boys got to know Dr.Agasa in that
        time, even if I don´t think so. There is another thing,in one of the first
        episodes Ran, Kogoro, Conan and the Detective Boys go somewhere by train.
        We get to know, that the Detective Boys joined them because their parents
        were happy to have some free time (or at least it is what Kogoro says, I
        think). Here we have the same question. Why did the parents allow their
        children to travel with someone they don´t know that long yet? It couldn´t
        be Kogoros reputation because he was not that known as the sleeping
        detective at that time. Even the possibility that it was because of Ran seems
        quite far fetched. She was not that known to the parents of the DB either. In
        my opinion it could be Conan who is the reason for the DB parent´s trust. He is
        in the same grade and a good friend of the DB. Maybe it seems, that if he is
        safe with Dr.Agasa or Ran and Kogoro, then why shouldn´t the Detective Boys be?
        I must admit, it all seems very weird for the audience, but as I said, we don´t
        know what happens between the lines. There could be lots of things we don´t
        know. This is the only logical solution for me.

[...]

        Caritas Optimus Veritas
          Love   Ideal   Truth

      • sarah sarah

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003
            (clasps) Finally! Someone who can reply a question in a detailed,
            coherent piece of writing. Very few newcomers has done that since 2001.
            Bravo, Marcy!

            Marcy wrote:

            > There is another thing,in one of the firstepisodes Ran, Kogoro, Conan
            > and the Detective Boys go somewhere by train.We get to know, that the
            > Detective Boys joined them because their parentswere happy to have
            > some free time (or at least it is what Kogoro says, Ithink). Here we
            > have the same question. Why did the parents allow theirchildren to
            > travel with someone they don't know that long yet? It couldn'tbe
            > Kogoros reputation because he was not that known as the
            > sleepingdetective at that time. Even the possibility that it was
            > because of Ran seemsquite far fetched. She was not that known to the
            > parents of the DB either.
            >
            > In my opinion it could be Conan who is the reason for the DB parent's
            > trust. He isin the same grade and a good friend of the DB. Maybe it
            > seems, that if he issafe with Dr.Agasa or Ran and Kogoro, then why
            > shouldn't the Detective Boys be?I must admit, it all seems very weird
            > for the audience, but as I said, we don'tknow what happens between the
            > lines. There could be lots of things we don'tknow. This is the only
            > logical solution for me.

            Unluckily, your quote on the episode of anime was something didn't
            happen in the manga (printed comics) -- in the original manga (It is in
            Volume 4) the Mouris went by themselves, without the DBs -- that is, the
            animators added the DBs themselves. Actually, IMO, one should not quote
            the first season of Conan anime without checking the related manga
            first, since the animators seemed changed the story far too much in the
            first season. Actually, Episode 12 (Tracer watch, people searching) has
            caused so much trouble afterwards.

            Back to the topic. Althoughthe quote isn't a awfully good piece of
            evidence, there're some evidence about the relationships between the DBs
            and Ran. In the case of Monthly Present (in which Conan's identity was
            first discovered) we saw the DBs going to the supermarket with Ran.
            According to the original manga, in the case about Treasure Hunt and the
            Tokyo Tower, Ran brought the DBs to the Tokyo Tower at first and they
            found the map, it was the next day when the DBs went treasure hunting.

            The first time of Agasa's intervention in the DB's activities IMO, is in
            the Case of the Disappearence of the Corpse, where Conan has to ask
            Agasa to make DB badges since he lost to the other DBs in the game
            arcade. At that story, the DBs has already knew Agasa. His outings with
            the DBs, according to the manga, was in Volume 12, a case which was
            animated very late and shouldn't be able to access to non-Japanese now.
            In the anime, as I recall, was the Case of the DBs' survival.

            On Aoyama's side, I think he originally planned Ran to be DB's mother
            hen. However, our Ran-neechan has so much responsibility to take:
            Shinichi's girlfriend, Conan's guardian, the manager of the Mouri
            household, and the schoolgirl. It wasn't strange, then, for Aoyama to
            assign this responsibility to Agasa, whose previously was only the
            gadget provider for Conan.

            That's purely my own views.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003
              sarah sarah wrote:

              > I want to know,"Does Ai Haibara the Member of the Detective Boys?

              She should be one, even she didn't say she wanted to be. According to
              anime Ep 128, or manga Vol.18 (or maybe subsequent stories):
              1. She knew Conan was in the DBs, and she intentionally want to be close
              with Shinichi-Conan, her "own kind".
              2. Even not so, Ayumi considers Ai her very good friend already, even
              having such tendency in Vol 18, more clearly in recent volumes. If so,
              she would "pull" Ai into the DBs.
              3. And even not so, Agasa, the guardian of Ai and the mother hen of the
              DBs, would put Ai into the group when they have any activity whatsoever.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
                Samuel Curtis wrote:

                > Unluckily, your quote on the episode of anime was something didn't
                > happen in the manga (printed comics) -- in the original manga (It is in
                > Volume 4) the Mouris went by themselves, without the DBs -- that is, the
                > animators added the DBs themselves. Actually, IMO, one should not quote
                > the first season of Conan anime without checking the related manga
                > first, since the animators seemed changed the story far too much in the
                > first season. Actually, Episode 12 (Tracer watch, people searching) has
                > caused so much trouble afterwards.
                >
                > In the case of Monthly Present (in which Conan's identity was
                > first discovered) we saw the DBs going to the supermarket with Ran.
                > According to the original manga, in the case about Treasure Hunt and the
                > Tokyo Tower, Ran brought the DBs to the Tokyo Tower at first and they
                > found the map, it was the next day when the DBs went treasure hunting.

                Even I've fallen prey of the trap I said above. The quote in the Monthly
                Present case was only in the anime, which isn't a safe bet for explaining
                things.

                --

              • vayabe <vayabe@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
                  --- In conan@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Curtis <conanchristie@e...>
                  wrote:
                  > (For convenience, we've to let the kids being 8 instead of 6-- the
                  way
                  > I've been using when reading or watching Conan.)

                  Yep, seeing them as 6-year-olds is well-nigh impossible.

                  > Agasa should be totally unknown to the DBs before Conan entered
                  Teitan
                  > Elementary, and they knew him since he's Conan's guardian, de jure,
                  and
                  > later Ai's.
                  > However, when we progress down the series, we can safely assume that
                  > even the parents of DBs has so much trust on Agasa -- a person not
                  quite previously known to the parents-- that the DBs are allowed to
                  have sleepovers, even camping, at his.
                  > I don't know how he can do that. If it's Ran, it's more possible,
                  IMO...

                  Don't see why : like you said, the parents see him as guardian of
                  one or more of their kid's friends so why shouldn't they trust him ?
                  I remember several sleepovers at friends houses when still quite
                  young whose parents mine didn't even know. You just don't go around
                  automatically suspecting your fellow parents/guardians of being unfit
                  to look after kids for a day or two.
                  Now why they still let the DBs even see Conan and Ai after all the
                  cases they've gotten them involved in is certainly puzzling.
                  Especially since I very much doubt the kids being able to keep their
                  adventures to themselves. Maybe they brag so much about being
                  detectives that no one in their families takes them seriously ?
                • Marcy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
                    "Maybe they brag so much about being
                    detectives that no one in their families takes them seriously ?"

                    Mhm... I must admitt, I never thought about that, but now you metion
                    it, it really seems weird. Of course there is a possibility that the
                    DB´s parents don´t take all the talking about being detectives serious
                    but still, if I do remember right, there were cases after which the DB
                    were in the papers, so it all became public and one could see, that
                    it all was not only a kid´s stupid imagination.

                    I think that there is another possibility known from other real life
                    Anime, books etc. Maybe, the DB´s parents are too busy to look properly
                    after their kids all the time. It may sound harsh, but we all know that
                    in some households both parents are working until late, so, who knows,
                    it may add some freedom to the DB´s activities.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
                      Marcy wrote:

                      > I think that there is another possibility known from other real
                      > lifeAnime, books etc. Maybe, the DBs' parents are too busy to look
                      > properlyafter their kids all the time. It may sound harsh, but we all
                      > know thatin some households both parents are working until late, so,
                      > who knows,it may add some freedom to the DBs' activities.

                      Actually, we are quite known of Genta and Mitsuhiko's parent's job, as
                      shown on manga volumes 31 and 35 respectively. Genta's family owned a
                      restaurent, and Genta actually helped with the family work. (No wonder
                      he's awfully obese...) Mitsuhiko's parents were both teachers.

                      On Ayumi's situation, then, there's more cloudiness. We never saw her
                      father. Her mother was on the script in Movie 3 and one episode of
                      anime, but her face was never seen. She seemed to be the career woman
                      type, IMO. Note: Ayumi lived in a high-rise.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
                        Samuel wrote:

                        "Actually, we are quite known of Genta and Mitsuhiko's parent's job, as
                        shown on manga volumes 31 and 35 respectively. Genta's family owned a
                        restaurent, and Genta actually helped with the family work. (No wonder
                        he's awfully obese...) Mitsuhiko's parents were both teachers.

                        On Ayumi's situation, then, there's more cloudiness. We never saw her
                        father. Her mother was on the script in Movie 3 and one episode of
                        anime, but her face was never seen. She seemed to be the career woman
                        type, IMO. Note: Ayumi lived in a high-rise."

                        I must admit, that I didn´t read that volumes yet, because in Germany
                        they relesed vol.9 at the moment, and it is very difficult to get other
                        versions. Especially for me, because I don´t understand neither Japanese
                        nor any other asian language and the only editions I could red are the
                        German and the French. Still the French is not very easy to get. So
                        you are sure right. It was only an idea anyway. :)