[conan] A mystery

  • Andrés Farías R
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
      Hello,

      I have found this very old mystery in a very old book.
      Then, I imagine this little boy in the place of the main character and I
      have adapted this story for you. Voila the story:

      The boss of the MIB Clan, has made prisoner Lady Ryan, and Conan has
      arrived to rescue her. The boss, waiting in his place, tell to Conan:

      - There are 9 rooms. Ryan is in one of those rooms. But this is not all.
      There are also rooms with empty or with tigers as well. I will give you
      a chance to find her. You must to choice the correct door. If you open
      the door with a tiger, you will dye. If you open a door empty she will
      dye -with you of course.

      - GGGRRRRRR.... - Spell Conan... -

      - Don't worry my little detective. I will help you. Each door has an
      inscription that will help you to find the correct one. The inscriptions
      in the door where Ryan is say the truth. Those inscriptions with tigers
      lie. I will say nothing about those that are empty. This is enough help.

      =)

      Then, Conan went to read every paper in the doors:

      Door 1: Ryan is in a room with an odd number.
      Door 2: This room is empty.
      Door 3: The inscription 5 is true or the 7th is false.
      Door 4: The inscription 1 is false.
      Door 5: The inscription 2 or 4 is true.
      Door 6: The inscription 3 is false.
      Door 7: Ryan is not in the door 1.
      Door 8: This room contains a tiger and the door 9 is empty.
      Door 9: This room contains a tiger and the room 6 is false.

      Conan looks straight to the boss... and say
      - This problem has no solution. You are a trickier.

      - Yes, I know. - Says the boss

      Ah! is funny. - say Conan that does not find funny at all this
      situation. Give me at least a little help: Is the room 8 empty or is
      not?

      Then, the boss answer him thinking that he will never found Ryan.
      He was wrong. Conan found her and escapes.

      ---------------

      What is the door where Ryan is?

      Enjoy it.
      Andres.

      --
      Andres Farias R415, 5 allee J.B.Fourier,
      Phone: 02 51 13 55 96 44300, Nantes, France
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
        Door 1: Ryan is in a room with an odd number.
        This is true.

        Door 2: This room is empty.

        Door 3: The inscription 5 is true or the 7th is false.
        This is false.

        Door 4: The inscription 1 is false.
        This is false

        Door 5: The inscription 2 or 4 is true.
        This is false

        Door 6: The inscription 3 is false.
        This is true.

        Door 7: Ryan is not in the door 1.
        This is true

        Door 8: This room contains a tiger and the door 9 is empty.
        False. Door 9 contains a tiger, and since 8 has a tiger, it's lying.

        Door 9: This room contains a tiger and the room 6 is false.

        Since this room contains a tiger, that means it's lying, and Ryan can't
        be in this room. ^ is true

        Since 1 is true, the numbers 1,3,5,7, and 9 are left. 9 contains a tiger,
        so that's out. 1 doesn't have ryan in it, so 1 is out. Now we have 3,5,
        and 7. Er... I really really suck at these things, so I'll just guess 7.
        Whoops, I die. ^^

        ~Asuka
      • Andrés Farías R
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
          Quiet near. But the problem is that you should start considering that
          Conan has say that the problem has no answer... unless you got more
          informations... for example, about the door 8... Then... bla, bla,
          bla...

          --
          Andres Farias R415, 5 allee J.B.Fourier,
          Phone: 02 51 13 55 96 44300, Nantes, France
          http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~afarias mailto:afarias@...

          "Heisenberg may have slept here"