Three Key Processes Necessary to Maintain Your POP3 Email Software

  • Stone Evans - The Home Biz Guy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2004
      Article Title:
      Three Key Processes Necessary to Maintain Your POP3 Email Software

      Article Author: Stone Evans, The Home Biz Guy

      Author Contact Email:
      mailto:articles@...

      Formatted to 65 Characters per Line
      Word Count: 1068 words

      This article was written by Stone Evans, The Home Biz Guy.

      The only role of http://thePhantomWriters.com and
      http://Article-Distribution.com is in the actual
      distribution of this article to you.

      At TPW, we are providing an additional free tool for
      webmasters who reprint the articles we distribute. If your
      software does not automatically hyperlink the URL's in your
      site copy, please use our Text-to-Hyperlink Conversion Tool
      to convert all URL's and Mailto addresses to the required
      hyperlinked format:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/link-builder.pl

      Publication Rules

      This is a Free-Reprint article. The only requirements for
      publishing this article are:

      * You must leave the resource box unedited. Minor editing to the
      article is permitted, only for the purpose of correcting any
      overlooked spelling or grammar problems. You are not allowed
      to change our recommendations, nor are you allowed to change
      the context of the article.

      * You may not use this article in UCE (Unsolicited Commercial
      Email). Email distribution of this article MUST be opt-in
      email only.

      * We ask that you forward a copy of the ezine or newsletter
      that contains the article inside to the author at:
      mailto:articles@...

      * If you post this article on a website, you MUST set any URL's
      in the body of the article and most especially in the Author's
      Resource Box as hyperlinks. We request that you also send us a
      copy of the URL where you have posted this article.

      We are providing free Text-to-Hyperlink Conversion Tool for
      webmasters who need an easy way to convert the plain text in
      this article to hyperlinks where required, for the purpose of
      meeting our hyperlink requirements:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/link-builder.pl

      If you find any of the rules to be unsavory or unacceptable,
      please do not publish this article. While we are happy to make
      the content available to you for your own use, we must insist
      on having our rules and *Terms of Reprint* honored in full.

      Thank you for adhering to these four very simple rules.

      Three Key Processes Necessary to Maintain Your POP3 Email Software
      Copyright � Stone Evans, The Home Biz Guy
      http://www.Home-Business.com

      Learning how to get the most organization from your email
      software is very likely the most important skill you can learn
      to conduct a successful online home business.

      There are three primary email applications on the market that
      folks use to manage their incoming POP3 email. Those three are:

      � Microsoft Outlook Express
      � Eudora
      � Netscape Mail

      In order to get the most from your email software, there are
      three key processes that you should learn. These processes are
      concerned with data organization, saving time and email database
      management.

      SET UP EMAIL FOLDERS

      Organization is key to any emails that you intend to save.
      Having 2000 emails in one folder is a sure-fire road map to
      confusion and lost communications and information.

      You are the best judge as to how to organize your email into
      topics that provide an easy method of retrieval of the
      information when you need it most.

      Fortunately, the primary email browsers make it easy to organize
      your information. By allowing you to create folders within your
      email software, you can file specific emails into folders
      dedicated to the topic of the email.

      To create new folders:

      OUTLOOK EXPRESS: 1. Click File - Folders - New ---
      alternatively, you may also right click an item in the Folder
      window --- and then type in the name of your new folder.
      Highlight the folder above where you would like your new folder
      to be placed, and then click OK.

      EUDORA: Click on Mailbox - New --- or right click on Eudora in
      the folders window and then click on New. When the window opens,
      type in the name of your new mailbox and click OK. If you want
      to create a folder to place other mailboxes into, click the
      checkbox before clicking OK.

      NETSCAPE MAIL: Click File - New Folder. Then from the drop-down
      menu, select the folder that you wish to be the folder directly
      above your new folder, before clicking OK.

      FILTERING EMAIL

      Email filters are a tool to help you save time and frustration.
      Have you ever lost an incoming email under the deluge of email
      coming into your mailbox? With filters, you can direct the
      important email or not-so-important email into certain
      pre-ordained folders.

      As part of the war against spam, most ISP's use filters every
      day in an attempt to keep the spam out of your mailbox. In fact,
      I even use filters to sort my incoming mail trying to catch the
      spam my ISP missed.

      Don�t be fooled into thinking you need some special software to
      filter your email. Setting up filters is actually quite easy.

      To setup email filters:

      OUTLOOK EXPRESS: Click on Tools - Message Rules - Mail. A
      wizard will open to help you create your new email filters. Just
      follow the instructions provided to direct mail based on certain
      criteria into certain folders.

      EUDORA: Click on Special - Make Filter. Once again, just follow
      the instructions in the Filter wizard.

      NETSCAPE MAIL: Click on Edit - Mail Filters. Then click on New
      in the wizard. Once you click on New, you will be taken to a new
      wizard window. Follow the instructions here, then when you are
      done, click on OK. This will return you to the first window
      where you will set up the sorting order of your filter.

      CLEANING AND COMPRESSING YOUR MAIL DATA

      This is an important part of your email management. When you no
      longer need an email, it should be deleted. When you first
      delete an email, your software will send the email to the Trash
      Bin. Your email is not actually deleted until you first empty
      your trash bin.

      Emptying your trash bin compresses the mailboxes from where the
      email was originally filed. This is absolutely paramount to the
      protection of your email data. If you go too long between
      compressing your email data, then your email data could become
      corrupted and you might need assistance in recovering your email
      data.

      Even after you have emptied your trash, Compressing Folders is a
      recommended step to prevent other data corruption. Once you
      understand that an email does not actually move from one folder
      to another until the folder is compressed, then you can better
      appreciate this advice.

      As an example, when Email A comes into your main Inbox, the data
      connected to Email A appears in two files. One file contains the
      header and body of the email. The other file contains only the
      email header information.

      When an email is moved from one folder to the other, only the
      header information is actually moved. The body information will
      not be deleted from the original folder until which time the
      original folder is compressed.

      This explains the purpose of emptying the trash AND compressing
      folders. If the email was simply moved from the Inbox to another
      folder, then emptying the trash is not enough. The original
      placement of the email is not actually removed from the file
      that contains the body information until the message has been
      designated for compression.

      To empty your trash:

      OUTLOOK EXPRESS: Click on Edit - Empty 'Deleted Items' Folder.
      To compress the remaining folders, click on Tools - Options,
      then click on the tab for Maintenance. Then click the button
      that says, "Clean Up Now". Once the compression is completed,
      click OK.

      EUDORA: Click Special - Empty Trash. To compress the remaining
      items that need compression, then click on Special - Compact
      Mailboxes.

      NETSCAPE MAIL: Click on File - Empty Trash Folder. To compress
      the mailboxes, click on File - Compress Folders.

      I cannot stress enough how important it is that you utilize the
      tools for emptying the trash and compressing the mail folders.
      Protecting your email data on a regular basis is good practice
      for avoiding disaster in your mailbox.

      So many of us rely upon our email software to keep our online
      business running smoothly. Once you master the tools provided in
      your email software, your online business will run smoothly also.

      Let me share one important lesson I l've learned about computer
      software. One should never be afraid to try new things. Learning
      how to get the most out of your software relies upon your
      willingness to dig in and learn how to use it.

      Once you learn how to use your software to its full potential,
      then your life will be greatly simplified and your effectiveness
      will be dramatically improved.

      About the author:
      Stone Evans owns the Home Business Resource Directory where
      you can find everything you`ll ever need to start, run and grow
      a home based business at: http://www.Home-Business.com

      To read more articles by Stone Evans, The Home Biz Guy:

      http://www.home-business.com/nav/articles/

      7