[Computational Complexity] Google-stupid

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2007
      The May 8 2007 issue of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL has the following on the front page:

      You're a Nobody Unless Your Name Googles Well

      The article told the story of a women who got married and took her husbands name, hence going from an uncommon, first-page--google-name, to a common 85th-page-google-name. This hurt her career. When considering what to name her children she used Google to make sure that her kids would have names that pop up on the first page of a Google search.

      When considering naming your child how do the following rank in importance?
      1. Honoring a family member.
      2. Carrying on a tradition.
      3. If you are religous, using a name from your faith (e.g., I know a Christian who uses only biblical names for his four kids- alternating Old Testament and New Testament).
      4. First Page on a Google Search.
      I predict that in the future item 4 will be the most important and the other ones will not even be understood. My great niece will one day tell me
      Uncle Bill, did people really name their children after themselves? Thats just google-stupid.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 11/29/2007 02:32:00 PM