[Computational Complexity] THANKS to Nicole's FOCS blogs and her positive out...

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      I want to extend a warm thanks to Nicole Immorlica for Guest blogging from FOCS. So I will:
      THANK YOU NICOLE!
      (Would have done this yesterday but if I had delayed getting the WOLFRAM PRIZE information out there I would have gotten at least 10 more emails telling me to post it.)

      The one thing that struck me the most about Nicoles FOCS blogs is the positive outlook usually missing from discussions about theory. If you look at this blog, other blogs, or just talk to people in theory, you usually read or hear negative comments like these:
      1. FOCS is biased
      2. STOC is too expensive
      3. Theory is underfunded
      4. Australian actresses are plagiarizing my quantum mechanics lectures to sell printers.
      5. Back in the good old days people worked on important problems. Now they just get incremental results.
      6. Bring back Lance!
      Some of these complaints are certainly valid. But hearing or reading such negativism can be monotonous, and blind us to some positive developments. Hence I appreciate Nicole's positive outlook on FOCS and Theory in general. I hope it lasts her entire career.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 10/26/2007 06:05:00 PM