[Computational Complexity] Wolfram Prize won!- There IS a (2,3)-UTM

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2007
      Recall that the Wolfram Prize which I blogged about here, was given to anyone who can determine if a certain Turing Machine was universal. It is now known that YES that machine IS universal.

      Congrads to Stuart Kurtz, Lance Fortnow, and Kathryn Cramer, Jon Katz, and Katrina LaCurts- NOT for winning the prize but for being the first ones to tell me who won the prize so I could post it. For that they win... a mention in this blog.

      Here are some websites about it, most of them emailed to me by Kathryn Cramer.
      1. write up in nature
      2. Stephen Wolfram's blog!
      3. Smith's 44 page proof!
      4. New Scientist Story
      5. Alex Smith's Photo!
      6. Geomblog scooped me here
      7. Live Journal

      BACK TO BILL:

      How important is the result? Alex Smith got $25,000 for it. The market has spoken, the result is important.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 10/25/2007 12:23:00 PM