[Computational Complexity] FOCS VII : Funding? NSF? whats it all about?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2007
      (Another Guest post from Nicole!)More from the Business Meeting

      Funding status report: I'm not really the right person to blog about funding since I have never yet applied for a grant. From the business meeting, it seems like a lot of people are doing a lot of hard work to funnel more of the NSF budget into our hands. They seem to have had some success. There are two new initiatives -- CDI, Expeditions -- and several old ones which now have more money than before -- ToC, SING. Funding rates seem to be around 25% (33% for CAREER). (An aside, maybe we should also try in an organized way to funnel more of the federal budget into the NSF by, e.g., writing our representatives in congress -- you don't have to be a citizen to do this -- or through PR campaigns.)

      But you can find all this info on the NSF website. What you can't find on the NSF website is how it affects us young academics. I am about to start my first faculty job, and funding has suddenly become a very real issue for me. I see these numbers, I hear about these politics, and I am totally in the dark. I have never written a proposal, never even read a proposal. I don't know how to play the game. I know my senior colleagues will help me through this process, but that does not reduce the anxiety. I suppose every career path has rites of passage like these. The thing is some rites of passage are fun. I could be wrong, but I'm not looking forward to this one.~

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 10/24/2007 03:20:00 PM