[Computational Complexity] FOCS V- Report from Prog Comm.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2007
      Another great guest post from Nicole Nicole Immorlica, from FOCS

      (Note from Bill G: This is one of several posts Nicole will be making from the Business meeting.)

      Program committee report: Another congrats is in order. No matter what you think about the distribution of topics (see below), you can't deny that the PC did a great job this year. I was especially impressed by the extensive feedback, both internal and external, on submissions; the comments were thorough and explicitly stated the PCs reasons for their decision.Now for the statistics, well, here's the list that was presented at the business meeting:The number of submissions: 302. The number of accepts: 86.Below is a topic that there were papers submitted on, followed by how many submitted,and how many accepted.
      1. Algebraic/Numerical Computation (14, 1)
      2. Algorithmic Game Theory (27, 5)
      3. Algorithms 85
        1. Approximation (35, 9)
        2. Geometric (8, 2)
        3. Graph (17, 1)
        4. Randomized (14, 4)
        5. Streaming (6, 2)
        6. Misc. (15, 0)
      4. Combinatorics (2, 0)
      5. Computational Biology (2, 0)
      6. Computational Complexity (30, 14)
      7. Cryptography (20, 7)
      8. Data Structures (6, 2)
      9. Geometry (13, 3)
      10. Learning (7, 0)
      11. Logic/Proof Complexity (11, 2)
      12. Parallel/Distributed Computation (15, 1)
      13. Property Testing (10, 5)
      14. Quantum Computing/Crypto (25, 6)
      15. Random Structures (7, 2)
      16. Misc. (11, 0)
      17. Out of Scope (6, 0)
      18. P = NP (1, 0)
      I think I'll leave it up to the commentators to interpret this.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 10/23/2007 04:53:00 PM