[Computational Complexity] Is Computer Science a Science?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2007
      Is Mathematics a Science? Is Computer Science a Science (hmmm- it has to be, its in the name :-) )? Is Richard Stallman a computer scientist? How about Bill Gates? How about my wife who has a job programming?For a serious discussion of some of these issues see an blog of Lance'sFor a less serious discussion, I offer the following thoughts.
      1. Calling something science, engineering, art, or business is not an insult or a compliment.
      2. A topic is a science if it has a lab where there is the potential for danger. Physics has radiation, Chemistry has explotions, Biology has germs. So they are sciences. Neither Math nor Computer Science has those.
      3. Hence, asking if Richard Stallman is a computer scientist is not really a question. So perhaps we need a different term. `Computer Programmer' is a fine term and we know what it means. How about if we call ourselves `Computer non-programmers'? Depends if you consider LaTeX a programming language (it is Turing-Complete).

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 10/10/2007 09:56:00 AM