[Computational Complexity] The Free Software Foundation and Richard Stallman

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2007
      Richard Stallman gave a talk at University of Maryland at College Park. He is the head of the free software foundation. The terminology `free software' does not mean that software should be given out for free. It means that once you buy software you should have the right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute it as much as you like. EMACS, which he wrote, has this kind of license. So does GNU which is an FSF project. The talk was pretty good. He made some valid points about the evils of the current system. I think he has some good points to make.
      1. He talked for 1 hour 45 minutes. This is probably 45 minutes too long.
      2. When I say he talked for 1 hour 45 minutes I am being literal- no slides, no blackboard presentation, just talking. This may be because to use technology he would have had to use Software from a company that he does not approve of.
      3. He speaks of free software as a human right. He speaks of it as the worst evil in the world. There are worse evils in the world; however, all good causes need true believers, and he is one.
      I've heard all this before and further ago than most people. In 1982 he was my housemate in Graduate School. He had some of these ideas then, but they are better develped now.I sortof wish I had gotten involved with Free-Software early on since its a good cause and it would be nice to be able to contribute to society in this way.

      P.S. Richard Stallman is not the most famous computer scientist who knows me. Serge Brin, co-founder of Google, had two courses from me as an Undergraduate.I definitly wish I had gotten involved with Google early early on since its a good product and it would be nice to be able to contribute to my bank account in this way.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 10/05/2007 09:04:00 AM