[Computational Complexity] Quantum Computing and Quantum Phy.

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2007
      I have been told quite often that
      You don't have to understand Quantum Mechanics to work in Quantum Computing.
      Thats a good thing since I've also been told
      Nobody really understands Quantum Mechanics.
      I've also been told
      You don't have to have studied Quantum Mechanics to work in Quantum Computing.
      I am skeptical of that. However, I was wondering about the other end- if you do have a background in Physics does it help? So I asked Fred Green (of Green's Conjecture) about this since he has a PhD in Physics, works in a computer science department, and works on Quantum Computing. Here is what he said.
      Learning quantum computing helped me understand quantum mechanics better. As a physicist I never thought about measurement theory or entanglement, which were foundational issues, irrelevant to what I was doing. In quantum computing, we reason directly about these things all the time.
      He didn't quite answer my question, but he raised a more interesting question. Should quantum physicists learn quantum computing?

      In an earlier post I noted that Jerry Seinfeld said Comedians should do lots of proofs. Not for their actual routines, but to better practice their craft. Perhaps its also good advice for people who want to be quantum mechanics (like auto mechanics, but on smaller cars) to learn some Quantum Computing. Not for their actual research, but to better practice their craft.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 9/07/2007 05:07:00 PM