[Computational Complexity] RANT about Electronic Refereeing

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2007
      When you are asked to referee a paper, should you accept the job? That is not todays topic. Today's posting is a rant!
      I got a request to referee a paper that I really could not turn down since I'm one of the few people who is qualified This may be reason enough to reject--- if very few people could referee it then perhaps the topic is too obscure. However, obsurity of research is not todays topic. Today's posting is a rant!!
      BEGIN RANT
      The request to referee was an automatic email. I then had to do the following:
      1. Goto a website to accept.
      2. Receive an email telling me how to access the paper.
      3. Goto another website, click on something to receive another email telling me my password and login.
      4. Change my password to one that I could remember. This took a while since they didn't state their rules for passwords, nor did there error messages tell me what the rules were.
      5. Goto another website with that password and login and register by giving my name (gee, I think they would already have that), email (ditto), school address, areas of interest, key words of interest (that was really hard- it was a long list and nothing quite fit), my right thumb print, and my left eye retina scan.
      6. To get the paper itself the website kept on doing odd things. I called them (by telephone!) and the editor said that I was not being an idiot, the website had problems that day, and they would try to send me the paper, but they were not sure they could access it. I told them that if they did not get me the paper within 24 hours I would not referee it. They got it to me 23 hours 45 minutes later.
      7. I am looking forward to seeing if the website will be working when I fill in the referees report, which must be done on the web.
      This is insane!
      END RANT

      I do not think I'm being a luddite to complain about this. Being a luddite (different link) is not the topic of todays post. I do not think that electronic refereeing systems using the web are a bad idea. But electronic refereeing systems are not todays posting. Todays posting was a rant!.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 8/27/2007 01:00:00 PM