[Computational Complexity] Away Message

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2007
      When I won't be in email contact for a while I set up a vacation program so that if someone emails me they get a message. I used to use the following:
      I am not in email contact. If you absolutely, positively, have to contact me then get a life.
      My wife told me this was offensive, so I changed it to
      I am not in email contact. If you absolutely, positively, have to contact me then you have the wrong priorities.
      She didn't like that one much either, but it was better. And I think its cleverer. But this raises the question, what is the proper etiquette for vacation programs?
      1. 15 years ago someone who is not computer savy was offended by the `get a life' vacation program, thinking that I had send it personally.
      2. 2 years ago a shy grad student from a different school was terrified by my `wrong priorities' vacation program.
      3. Aside from that, most people tell me they like both of them.
      4. I often email someone, get a vacation program reply, and then within 5 minutes get a real reply. I find that someone rude.
      5. Whatever the vacation program etiquette it will likely be irrelevant as we are logged on more and more, even on vacation.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 7/30/2007 06:47:00 AM