[Computational Complexity] `Its Huffman coded!' does make sense!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 2:19 PM
      On the post Math Terms used in Real Life- Good or Bad I mentioned the following:
      On 24, season two, there was a line `we can't break in, its been Huffman coded!' This makes no sense mathematically but it raises awareness of security issues.
      I had thought that Huffman Codes are just used to compress data and had nothing to do with hiding information. I was wrong! Yakov Nekrich pointed out the following to me:
      Actually Huffman codes can be difficult to break, see for instance this article: On breaking a Huffman code by Gillman, D.W. Mohtashemi, M. Rivest, R.L.
      I'm curious- did the writers of 24 know this or not? I would guess no, and they just lucked out. Unless Hillman or Mohtashemi is moonlightening as a writer for 24 (I doubt Rivest needs the money.)

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 7/09/2007 04:17:00 PM