[Computational Complexity] ASK THE ALGORITHM!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      How do non-theorists view algorithms? If ask.com has its way they will associate algorithms with ask.com. Or they will associate ask.com with algorithms. There latest ad campaign seems to define algorithms to be search algorithms, which is even narrower than mine!. The company ask.com is bragging that their search engine uses an algorithm! Uh- we knew that. We also know that google and yahoo use algorithms! But apparently they don't use the algorithm.

      I saw a billboard a few weeks ago which said
      The Algorithm killed Jeeves.

      Since I am a fan of of P.G. Wodehouse's fiction revolving around Jeeves and Bertie my curiosity was aroused. It turns out that this is ask.com's way of saying that they are changing their name from ask-jeeves to ask-the-algorithm (I'm not sure this is really their new name.) This is rather odd- you are supposed to kill the compeition, not your former selves.

      This is only ask.com's second stupidest ad. The stupidest one is called the unabomber hates the algorithm What does this even mean? Nowadays most people have forgotten who the Unabomber is. But even if they know who he is, is the reasoning ``if a bad guy didn't like this product, then I should.'' ?
      (Thanks to Paul Beame who send me this idea for a blog.)

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 5/31/2007 01:29:00 PM