[Computational Complexity] The Man who loved Algorithms

    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2007
      The May 2007 issue of IEEE SPECTRUM has on its cover the sentence
      The man who loved algorithmsI was thinking that it would be an article about Donald Knuth (See also Wikipedia entry.)
      It was not- it was about Thomas Kailath(See also Wikipedia entry.) who won the IEEE spectrum medal of Honor for
      exceptional developments of powerful algorithms in the fields of communications, computing, control and signal processing
      I will defer to the IEEE and assume that he has indeed done excellent work.
      I had never heard of this person. Some of you may have since he does have some COMP SCI publications; however, I suspect most of you have not. If not, then do we have a narrow view of algorithms?
      My view is narrower than most and is summed up by a quote Michael Sipser said at a Workshop on Circuit Complexity about 20 years ago:
      Algorithms are sanity checks on lower bounds.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 5/24/2007 11:40:00 AM