[Computational Complexity] When Technology Doesn't Change

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2007
      My 6th grade daughter takes the ISATS (Illinois Standard Achievement Tests) this week, tests meant more to evaluate the school than the students. Despite the amazing changes in computer technology, she takes the exam the same way I did for the equivalent tests in the 70's, filling in ovals with a Number 2 pencil.

      In my lifetime we've sent a man to the moon and music has moved from records to 8-tracks to cassettes to CDs to MP3 players. But what hasn't changed. The vast changes have been in computation and communication, but transportation remains mostly the same. Airplanes fly as fast now as they did in the 60's using the same basic jet engine technology. Most cars still run on the combustion engine and remain grounded. Elevators, escalators and sidewalks where people still walk. We really haven't changed how we get from point A to point B.

      We still read our books on paper and write with ballpoint pens. Locks are mostly split cylinders. They still haven't invented a good mouse trap or cured the common cold. And let's not forget the greatest device devised by man: Saran Wrap.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 3/13/2007 08:50:00 AM